IGNORED

Car wont turn over

Erick

Hello i am new to all this and Z's. I have a 1978 280z coupe 5 speed. I bought it about 2 months ago. It was a barn find. Sp i just changed oil and battery and spark plugs. It turned over but it wasnt charging the battery in matter of fact it did the opposite. So i changed the alternator and also battery terminals. And new coolant as well. I also decided to drain the gasoline and add new one (one gallon to be exact). So once i did all of that i tried to start it up, and it started ( I WAS HAPPY ASF) but then it turned off as if it had died. But battery checkes out good it was at 12.5 to 13. So i tried to crank it again and it made a really bad grinding noise( when you have your car turned on and you try to start it again), so i stopped. I decided to put more gas (4more gallons)and still wont start. Every thing turns on just wont start. And it keeps draining my battery little by little if i keep trying to start it. I had to recharge my battery twice now. Im not sure if i need to replace my fuel pump maybe it got clogged up or starter?? Or change to a new battery idk what but please help

Welcome to the forum.  Sounds like a bad ground somewhere?  Directions on cleaning are here, http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/electricalconnections/index.html

A new fuel filter in the engine bay would my first $10.  Then a filter between the tank and fuel pump would be my next $5.  Here's a good write up on that...

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fuel/g3filter/index.htm

Here's the screen in the fuel pump that probably needs cleaning if it's been sitting in a barn.  Was the old gas nasty smelling, looking?

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fuelpump/index.html

Here's the home page where I'm getting this from.  He has covered just about everything with good descriptive writing and photos.

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/

Good luck and we'll be here for 'ya. :D

Congratulations on the new-to-you 280Z, and getting it started.  Considering all of the facts, a bad or dirty/corroded starter seems possible.  Assuming that the engine is okay. 

When the engine died did it stop immediately or did it die slowly?  Are you sure that the engine is not seized?  Try turning it over by putting the car in gear and rolling it, or using a wrench on the crankshaft or timing sprocket bolt.  If the engine is free but the starter just doesn't have the juice to push the bendix out and turn it, you might remove the starter and clean it up.  It's pretty easy to do.  You can also remove it then reconnect the cables and test it off the engine.  Make sure that you get the cables connected correctly, Nissan did not use red and black like everybody else did at the time.

First of all, Welcome.  Hands down, These are some of the best folks around for knowledge and resource information.  You'll need to download the FSM and  EFI bible here,  http://www.classiczcars.com/files/category/4-manuals/   Those are going to help you the most on your new journey.  

Also, check all of your vacuum hoses from the charcoal canister to everything on top of the manifold for leaks/cracks and rot.  Also check the PCV hose on the bottom of the manifold.  All of those are cheap and easy as well as necessary for a car that has been sitting for a long time.   Fuel delivery is also a potential issue and can come from a variety of areas like rust in the tank for example.   The more info you give, the better help you will receive.  And pictures really help too, even if just to show off your Z.

Hey guys thanks so much for the fast replys ok so when i took the old gas out it didnt smell. Smelled like gas. But it was greenish (light transparent) it was a tad green but compared to the new gas i bought the gas was straight clean like water. Also i notcied when i tried to crank it up my fan was slow also as if it was heavy i made sure it wasnt hitting the plastic gaurd and its not should i upgrade it? Also i have pics ill upload them also can i upload videos? Oh also next to oil filter there is this plug can anyone tell me what it is? 

20171112_105903.jpg

20171111_151214.mp4

Hey zedd head so my car died slowly not immedietly. As if it lost power or not enough gas but not it just cranks doesnt start. People are telling me to look at fuel pump might be clogged up also fuse links since its a new alternator cpuld have blown a fuse up. Also fuel filters. So should i look at the starter or no? 

Since you know that the engine will start and run, but your problem now is getting it restarted, and keeping it running, I would not do anything drastic.  Focus on getting the right things done in the right order so that you don't get lost in unnecessary details.  If you do decide to do "while I'm here" things or things that will need to be done eventually make sure you get them done to completion or you might end up with things torn apart and a bunch of new puzzles to solve.

The starting system is essentially independent of everything else on the engine and car.  The starter is connected directly to the battery, and is controlled by the starter solenoid.  You can work on it independently of all of the other things you're looking at.  Can't tell you what exactly to do but that's how I would look at it.  You should be able to easily get the engine to spin using the starter, if you're battery is charge.  "12.5 to 13" implies that you're using the dash gauge to measure voltage though, and it's not accurate.  Get a real meter, you'll need it.

Your alternator ground wire is in the wrong spot but it is probably not a big deal.  "E" stands for earth, which is also called ground.  But the alternator case is also connected to ground.  It looks like your T plug has been messed with.  Take that white piece of tape off and see what's under there.

Your fusible link ends look like they need cleaning.  Be careful that you don't short your battery when working on the electrical stuff.  Take the battery negative cable off if you're not used to working on electrical.  Burnt wires would be a nightmare for you.  Those are bad battery cable ends also.  They get dirty easily.  Could be part of your problem.

Good luck.  Take your time.  Take notes.  Record numbers.

image.png

image.png