IGNORED

HP question

wil84911

So if I have a 2.6 block, E88 heads, triple DCOE40’s approximately what kind of horsepower do I have. Sorry it’s too general but a ballpark would be good enough. Thanks folks.

12/70 2.6 block E88 heads Mallory DCOE40 3/2 Abarth Tokico 1-3/4 sways ext oil cooler

Lots of variables still there... Cam, compression, etc.

One of the big limitations on the L motor is the heads. They really need some work by a practiced hand to make them breathe well. Significant gains can be achieved there, but it can get expensive. Well at least expensive by Datsun standards not so much Porsche standards. I hate to hazard a guess at numbers but I am sure there is someone on the site with a similar setup that could give you some feed back...

You are limited by the E88. An N42,  E31, P90 (with modifications) weould be better for more HP. Also you probably have dished pistons so your cr will be less than ideal. To get the most out of your triples you will need a stage II cam at the minimum and a different head and flat top pistons. Otherwise you are too limited by your current set-up. Just my $.02.

Cheers, Mike

You are limited by the E88. An N42,  E31, P90 (with modifications) weould be better for more HP. Also you probably have dished pistons so your cr will be less than ideal. To get the most out of your triples you will need a stage II cam at the minimum and a different head and flat top pistons. Otherwise you are too limited by your current set-up. Just my $.02.
Cheers, Mike

Thank you. Something for the near future. What’s the ball park cost?

12/70 2.6 block E88 heads Mallory DCOE40 3/2 Abarth Tokico 1-3/4 sways ext oil cooler

I'd say $1,000 for a good turn key cylinder head if you can find one from an individual.  I have that in an E31 with big valves and a .490 cam, to lazy to put it together so far but winter's here and I'll get it done soon.

Try Rebello Racing,  http://www.rebelloracing.com/index.htm

Or a little closer to you Datsun Spirit,   https://datsunspirit.com/

As Site says head work is not cheap, but that's where the most "bang for the buck" is. The reason it's so expensive is it is very labor intensive with hours of careful work by someone who knows what he is doing. I got lucky in that a friend of mine had done all the work and installed a Delta stage II cam. He sold it to me complete with an MSA 6-1 header and exhaust system for $800. He had moved on to turbo-charging as he had found a ZX turbo motor that had been removed from a car that had been stolen and wrecked new from a dealer. The motor and tranny had been just stored in a garage for many years. I put the N 42 cylinder head on an F54 block from an '83 ZX N/A. The combo of the N 42 head with the F 54 block produced a 10-1 compression ratio which requires premium gas. 

Cheers, Mike

• Thanks 1

As Site says head work is not cheap, but that's where the most "bang for the buck" is. The reason it's so expensive is it is very labor intensive with hours of careful work by someone who knows what he is doing. I got lucky in that a friend of mine had done all the work and installed a Delta stage II cam. He sold it to me complete with an MSA 6-1 header and exhaust system for $800. He had moved on to turbo-charging as he had found a ZX turbo motor that had been removed from a car that had been stolen and wrecked new from a dealer. The motor and tranny had been just stored in a garage for many years. I put the N 42 cylinder head on an F54 block from an '83 ZX N/A. The combo of the N 42 head with the F 54 block produced a 10-1 compression ratio which requires premium gas. 
Cheers, Mike

Thanks. So better off going with a ZX block instead of the 2.6 correct?

Once again, Site gives good advice. It is possible to build a really good performing motor with mostly Nissan/Datsun parts. The datsunzgarage site he mentions is an excellent source of info on building horsepower.  I used a ZX block because I found a rusted out 90K '83 car in a junk yard and bought the whole car just for the engine and 5 spd tranny. I paid $300 for the whole car and took it back to the j.y. after I removed the parts I wanted. Ended up costing me about $200. I was going to use the P79 head and modify it using the info from the datsunzgarage site, but got the N42 head instead because it was a great deal and all I had to do was bolt it on. There is another publication called "How to Modify your Nissan& Datsun  OHC Engine" by Frank Hansowetz that has a lot of old school modification instructions, also. Keep in mind that you are entering the big money spending zone. It is not popular with wives or significant others. You can easily spend 4-5 figures chasing more horsepower especially if you have your motor built by Rebello or Datsun Spirit. They build great engines, but they are very expensive. This might be why some decide to put Chevy V-8s in their cars (sacrilege, I know...but if you choose to go that way check out hybrid z if they are still up and running as they are the way to go for modifying Z cars). However, before you do anything read everything you can get your hands on and that will help you make informed decisions. If at all possible before you do any modifications tune your car up and drive it. They are pretty fast in stock configuration. Good luck.

Cheers, Mike

Gotcha. Agree. One reason I went back to a Z is the wife bitching about my spending on my aircooled 911 which I sold.. stupid move but.. gotta move on. I intend to enjoy what I have for now.