IGNORED

Wonder how many HLSUN-30 are still around

240dkw

So after zKars posted his latest car it looks like an pre 1971 HLSUN-30, which made me start to wonder how many of these cars are still around. Please do not hold me to any of the numbers that I am about to put out there as some are from other sources and some guesses on my parts. So the production records show that 1201 cars where shipped to Canada in 1970. If we remove the HLSU -30 cars that were shipped to Ontario. We would come up with the number of pre 1971(non-emission)HLSUN-30 cars. As I cannot find any records showing the different sub-sets of imports I will use population ratios to guess. The population of Canada was 21.3 Million and the population of Ontario was 6.96 Million we end up with around 810 cars that where shipped to the rest of Canada. I realize that this is quite rough as southern Ontario was the largest area of employment at the time in Canada so I would guess there would be more orders for these cars there than the farming areas on the prairies or the fishing communities of the east coast. I do not have a list of Canadian Datsun dealers, which might help with a better guess. So this subset of the HLS-30 looks to be as rare or rarer then the VIN number of less than 1000. Wish Datsun would have put the UN lettering in the firewall VIN
I got some of the information from this post.
Thanks
@Mike B

Edited by 240dkw

HLS30-00048 is the earliest UN I know.  It may have had some part delays or issues because it was started life in October 1969 but was not shipped from the factory until February, 1970.

HLS30-00126 & HLS30-00127 are both UN's

Some crude info:

image.jpeg

Nov 28, 1969. Brandon Manitoba

image.jpeg

Brandon Sun Feb 5, 1970 " See the new 240Z arriving soon and watch for our Datsun new-car showing. "

1969 Hamilton Ad:

image.jpeg

Edited by 240260280

3 hours ago, 240260280 said:

HLS30-00048 is the earliest UN I know.  It may have had some part delays or issues because it was started life in October 1969 but was not shipped from the factory until February, 1970.

HLS30-00048 was originally a US car.  It came from Washington state.  Gab got it and restored it when he lived in Vancouver.

• Like 1

HLS30-00048 was originally a US car, probably an HLS30U like my cars.  It was restored as a UN.  I own the remains of HLS30-00403 which I bought several years ago.  It was a UN - 11/69 build date.

According to my references, the HLS30 UV had an evaporative emission control device and the HLS30 U did not.  They had a smog pump but not evap. tank in the quarter panel.  The gas tanks are peculiar also because of the lack of the vent hoses.

Edited by 26th-Z
  • Like 1

Hi 

For vehicles manufactured in 1969 and early 1970,  California CARB was the only requirement for gasoline vapor recovery on cars sold in California.  Of course at that time California was the single largest market for Datsun in the USA as well.  The Federal EPA was expected to follow California's lead in this area - and it did sometime the following year (1970).  So from a production perspective it made sense to make gasoline vapor recovery standard equipment on all Datsun 240Z's at some point.  Nonetheless, any 240Z's not equipped with gasoline vapor recovery systems - could have been legally sold in States outside California. 

Interesting side note:

The early 1970 Factory Service Manual - Chassis and Body - On page FE-4,  Figure FE-9 (a picture of the fuel tank)  is noted:  "Fuel Tank For California" - and is shown with the Evap. Recovery System.  "A reservoir as shown in FIG FE-9 is provided so as to relief expansion and bubbles due to heating (for California, USA). The Service Manual only identified HLS30-U as being for USA/Canada.

FWIW,

Carl B.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Carl, i would add Ontario, Canada to that statement as  I understand they got the VRS even in 1970 but the rest of Canada did not follow suit until the 1971 model.

Edited by 240dkw
  • Like 1