IGNORED

Gas Tank Filler Cap Problems - Threads Stripped

Kevin McSweeney

Hello,

I'm new on here, having just bought a '78 280z less than 2 weeks ago. I'll do a proper introduction elsewhere with a thread on the build, but for now I have a question:

When we were trying to get the car running last week - by draining out the old gas and filling up with fresh - we discovered that the previous owner did not have the key for the locked filler cap. We ended up having to drill out the cap which in turn fell into the tank along with the drill bit. I'm not too concerned about this right now as I'm dropping the tank this week anyway to clean it out, however when drilling it out we cause some damage to the threads for the cap (See images attached).

I've since found a filler cap with lock and key (images also attached) and I'm wondering what can be done to get this problem fixed. Short of cutting this section out and welding in a new section from a donor/parts car, does anyone have any ideas on this? Suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

Best,

Kevin

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I built a filler tube insert using three drilled holes and set screws, to clamp it to the inside of the original tube.  Yours is pretty messed up though and you'd need to find a cap that would seal on the old tube's top.

A rubber plumbing pipe cap and a hose clamp might get you by, with a small hole poked in it for a vent.  Or a rubber hose coupler to clamp a new tube to the old one.  You won't be able to close the outer cap though.  Kind of joking.

Dropping the tank is the way to go.  Shouldn't have got angry...

7 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I built a filler tube insert using three drilled holes and set screws, to clamp it to the inside of the original tube.  Yours is pretty messed up though and you'd need to find a cap that would seal on the old tube's top.

A rubber plumbing pipe cap and a hose clamp might get you by, with a small hole poked in it for a vent.  Or a rubber hose coupler to clamp a new tube to the old one.  You won't be able to close the outer cap though.  Kind of joking.

Dropping the tank is the way to go.  Shouldn't have got angry...

If I had a dollar for every time I shouldn't have gotten angry but did :P but it was more that I was in a rush at the time really.