IGNORED

Automatic Conversion

joe newsom

I have run into a problem with my conversion. I have a 1971 240z that I am trying to put a 75 280z 5 speed into. The problem is that the shifter comes up very short in the tunnel. I am working with a member to bend a shifter so that minimal cuts have to be made on sheet metal and the console. I am curious if there is a option for a longer transmission and if that would fix the short fall?IMG_4464.JPG

IMG_4461.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

The common fix is to trim some of the front of the hole, and possibly to obtain the right shifter. In fact if you move the vinyl and sound deadening at the front there you may see an outline in the sheet metal that tells you exactly where to cut to.

If you need the oval-ish ring (4 screw holes ) that is used to hold down the stock manual shifter boot, let me know.

Edited by zKars

There are some different shifter levers  that will help this issue as Jim mentioned. I'll try and find the link a bit later. 

But a 71 will likely need a bit of trimming for the Tunnel hole. Even the later style F4W71B transmission from 1972 onwards requires the shifter hole to be trimmed a bit. The 1971's and earlier vhad the F4W71A transmission with the " Monkey Motion " linkage. The transmission linkage sits further back on those and the transmission tunnel hole is further back on 71 and earlier models. 

Part of the solution is using a 5 speed shift lever out of a 280Z 5 speed rather than a ZX.  See Post #73 in the first link below ( Page 3 ) 

Edit: Found two of the links. Usual Photobucket mess unfortunately. 

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/23128-5-speed-in-a-4-speed-question/?page=3

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/51950-280z-5-speed-shifter-question/

Edited by Chickenman

• 4 weeks later...

Coming up with another problem with automatic conversion.
Not really sure what todo with this extra wiring.

I read info on this forum and internet about jumping Or splicing the wires on the other side of transmission but this one I can’t seem to find any info that is helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

I was under my car the other day, and those drivers side wires are just hanging there.   I couldn't remember if it was supposed to be like that but the car still works :)   My engine and transmission have been in and out several times though so it's possible they were dislodged?

As for the shifter, my '71 required slight trimming, and the 260z shifter worked fine.

Edited by HuD 91gt