IGNORED

Adjusted valves for the 1st time; questions regarding engine temp. and lock nut torque

882993md

Hi everyone:

I just adjusted the valves on my 260z (first time ever performing valve adjustment on any car). 

I did get the engine hot and had all my tools ready and I had antiseize on the sparks plugs. It took me a while and by the time I was done with the last set the engine was barely warm. I’m thinking I should try it again with the engine still hot when I’m done?

I also had to redo several of them as I was tightening the lash was thrown off and when I double checked it was too tight and I had to redo it. Any tips for holding the setting while tightening the 17mm locknut?

Lastly is it ok to get the 17mm locknut really tight with a wrench, then come back later to torque it to specs, or would I need to torque it from the outset?

Howard

1974 260z

Edited by 882993md

I prefer to make the valve adjustment while the engine is cold. It far easier to work cold on and I am not racing against time as the engine cools. Note the clearances are smaller when cold. Use two wrenches so you can hold the adjusting nut while turning the lock nut. There is some interaction and it takes patience and a few tries to get each setting correct.

• Like 1

Yeah, holding the 14mm adjust nut while tighten the lock nut really helps.

Here's a picture that shows something that helped me when I first started doing them.  Write it all down on a piece of stiff paper, I use beer boxes, and mark them off as you go.  They come up almost identical two at a time, so you can do those two and rotate again for two more.  Speeds it up some but after trying the hot way I've gone to just setting them cold, lazier in my old age. :D

valve adjustment tools.jpg

I adjust them cold before every race on my 240Z. Once I tighten the lock nut I re-check the lash and put a Sharpie mark on the head to note that valve is done. It seems like the clearance gets a little smaller when the 17mm lock nut is torqued down.

Chuck