IGNORED

Optimal performing exhaust for street

Matthew Abate

I've read many threads and done my searches and have decided there is no discussion happening where people compare the exhaust systems available for the street on a performance level.

I am looking at a few systems for my car, but I was hoping that I could spawn a robust discussion that would perhaps crowd source enough information that we could put together a sticky post for people to be able to reference in the future.

These are the pieces of information I am hoping to capture, but if you think I missed something please add to it (I am by no means an exhaust expert or I wouldn't need to do this):

Impact on HP / Torque at various points along the rev range

Materials / longevity / construction

Weight

Other considerations I think are important because this is a street-application specific thread:

Availability

Price

Fit (240z vs 280z, r180 vs r200 diff, other considerations)

Muffler

dB

Me personally, I am looking at the new version of the Fujitsubo Legalis R twin system, Sean's Z-Story single system, Spirit Garage's twin system, and the Trust header mated to something I haven't figured out yet.

I know there are tones of other options so it might be crazy to try to capture a comprehensive set of information, and I am selfishly hoping to get real experienced feedback on the ones I mentioned, but figuring out what performs best for a street application is my overarching goal.

Maybe the best way to go about it is for people to nominate an option and give reasons matching my topics above and then for debate to ensue...

Or you can just post a link to where this has happened already and I couldn't find it.

But it might be possible for people to do this with what they have experience with, so, for example, if two people compare two exhaust each, and they both have one in common, we can infer a hierarchy.

In other words, I show dyno charts on exhausts A and B with B being better, and you show them on B and C with C being better, we can make a strong case that C is better than A.

And even without that, a consolidated thread of people giving data on their systems is better than nothing.

It would be best if the comparison testing was done on the same dyno.  Otherwise, the (probably) small differences measured could have to do as much with dyno A vs. dyno B as they do with exhaust system X vs. exhaust system Y.  I haven't looked at chassis dyno specs for a long time, but back in my day, the best chassis dynos that speedshops could afford were based on eddy-current absorber technology and IIRC the absolute accuracy was on the order of +/- 5% .  Decent repeatability, but only so-so absolute accuracy.  The automotive and fuels/lubricants industry R&D labs that I worked with used controllable DC machines, where the accuracy was +/- 0.5%.  Those units cost anywhere from $500K to $1 Million. 

The low-end machines may be better than they used to be, but it's always best to be using the same measurement device if you're looking to detect small differences with confidence.

• Like 1

Okay, so two systems that are within the margin of error could be conceivably be considered equal, whereas outside of that margin of error the superiority of one over the other would be actual, if not indisputable. This doesn't undermine the exercise. We just need people to actually post something. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

I currently have a Zstory sport system that was Dyno run in July.
I also have a Dyno run on a previous system. Basically it was s stock manifold ceramic coated with a stock down tube to a 2 1/4 system, amid system glass pak resonator and a stainless magnaflow rear muffler

1 hour ago, 7tooZ said:

I currently have a Zstory sport system that was Dyno run in July.
I also have a Dyno run on a previous system. Basically it was s stock manifold ceramic coated with a stock down tube to a 2 1/4 system, amid system glass pak resonator and a stainless magnaflow rear muffler

Did you post the results? Can you? Curious now too. 

• 2 years later...

I also would like to hear from fellow members on selecting a complete street performance exhaust system.

This link from Zcarguide was helpful in getting somewhat of feel for the sound of different systems. https://zcarguide.com/datsun-240z-exhaust-guide-best-exaust-systems-sound/ . Also I found this link Whiteheadperformance  which provides some round numbers on what to expect when moving off a stock system.

I would like to hear from those who have installed these systems.

• Are you still happy with your selection?
  • When you installed your system did you have to make modifications to get things to fit?
  • When your driving on the highway is the noise level too much to have a conversation with a passenger?
  • Any other tips you might want to share with a fellow Z'er.

Crshowers

73 240z getting put back together