IGNORED

Z31 N/A RB project

five&dime

Hello, everyone. I haven’t been on here in quite a while. My dad is a regular (diseazd) with 5 amazing s30’s. I have had many Nissans and owned a 72 510 for a few years but have never owned a Z. The S30’s are just too expensive for me and for some reason, over the last few years, I cannot get the Z31 300zx out of my mind. I almost bought one a year ago and then went on to other projects.

My original plan was going to be to build a beast L series motor. Bored and stroked to 3.2L with high revs and a goal of 300hp. I quickly realized that building such a motor would likely cost about $12-15k all in. So I started leaning towards an RB20det or RB25det build. I know the guys who started Japanese Classics and Japan Parts service so I asked them what they might have in stock. They didn’t have any turbo engines but did happen to have an RB25de. I hadn’t even thought about an n/a build but suddenly everything made sense and I instantly had the final vision for what I wanted to build. I would build exactly what I wanted in an L series only at about half the cost with an RB. This gives me a crossflow head and twin cams which is obviously a benefit. Japan Parts Service also just so happened to have the one and only JDM Z31 5 speed they have ever gotten (the best of the 3 Z31 5 speed variants with Z32 internals) and the only RB bell housing they have ever gotten without a trans attached. It was like it was all meant to be. The RB25de also had a beautiful set of equal length long tube headers. Although I will just be using the block and headers, for the price I paid for everything, I am still way ahead.

Today, I ordered an brand new Nissan RB26 head. It flows better out the gate and has a better lifter design for high revs. Going with Supertech +1 intake and exhaust valves and dual high tension valve springs with Tomei solid lifters to allow for a 9k redline. My dad and I know a great machinist who will port and polish the head on his flow bench.

I will update here as I go. My dad and I will tear down the motor and then I will take it to my machinist. I also do not yet have a car but that will be the easy part. I am set on a 1986 300zx non turbo in white, black or grey with dark grey/black cloth interior and the analogue gauges. Why 86 only you ask? 86 is arguably the best year in that it came with the wider fenders featured on the 87-89 but has the early tail lights and split head lights which are a must for me.

Looking forward to the next updates and happy to be posting here again.

Brandon

23981506428_1b5d43c64b_b.jpg

23981505718_ccf8f3ff05_b.jpg

Edited by five&dime
  • Like 1

Thanks for the link. I had not seen that but for the price I paid for an RB25de long block with headers, a brand new RB26 head and RB26 covers, I think I got the better deal ;) 

Also not sure why he is selling the motor if he wants to go turbo. Seems like that engine is just n/a by choice not by design. 

Edited by five&dime

That’s my boy! This is going to be a really fun father/son project. Finally got the kid back in a Nissan/Datsun. I’ve only built the L Series engines.....looking forward to playing with a twin cam beast. You’re going to like this car........ I promise! BTW JSM....I joined the site March 2007....I see you joined in April 2007 :wacko: Guess that makes me your Senior eh?

Edited by Diseazd

18 minutes ago, Diseazd said:

BTW JSM....I joined the site March 2007....I see you joined in April 2007 :wacko: Guess that makes me your Senior eh?

Lol, Hey if you adopt me, let me move in and Feed me, I'll speak only when spoken too, greet you with your favorite flavored coffee in the morning and do all the chores you want done!

One of these days someone will adopt me!  Not sure what I'll tell the wife!

Edited by JSM
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, five&dime said:

I keep seeing that one in my searches but it only has the one photo and appears to have tan interior. I dont mind buying out of state though. 

I search all the time for 300zx.  She's my S30 mistress.  Really any Z is!

I have a real bad tendency to fall in love with any cool car.  Last night I'm watching Wheeler Dealers and they did a 82 Celica Supra.  I started looking immediately.  I have issues!

What color interior do you prefer?  I know Tan is out reading your BMW build. :) 

Edited by JSM

Haha, I am exactly the same way. Currently have 4 "enthusiast" vehicles all with mods. The e38 M7, 03 e53 x5 4.6is, 04 Volvo V70R and 95 Nissan d21 hardbody.

I like black the best stock in an e38 7. But I like caramel in the e39 m5's or the almost white interior on the newer BMW's.