IGNORED

Marchal 652 Driving Lamps

TomoHawk

Has anyone seen or experienced the Marchal 652 Driving Lamps?  I know they were used on sportscars, "sporty cars," and Mustangs, etc.  in the 1960s, and are now a bit pricey, but I have a chance to buy a pair.  But before I spend money on what I may not be able to repair or replace (I don't even know what bulb they use) I'd like to get some  informative opinions from people that I can trust.

ThxZ.

Marchal driving lights.  I remember those things.  I guess it all depends on what you are looking for, Tomo.  These are certainly vintage!  I think they take a quartz / halogen bulb.  They will throw out a pencil beam resembling a laser and set fire to anything combustible with 15 yards.   In fact, they may not be legal anymore.  As I recall, they are seriously bright.  Big heavy things.  Lots of amp draw.  Use a relay.

I"M not interested in finding auctions on eBay.  I would like to hear from people who have experience with how well they work, and what kind of bulb is employed.

Mea culpa
thought you might be interested in seeing pictures of where the bulb mounts. Very similar to a set of Brazilian lights I have from that era. Won’t bother you again.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Thanks anyway.

eBay auctions don't show you photos of the innards, unless you get very lucky.  Obviously the sellers just want the do the least work to sell the thing. They usually just have a bunch of photos of the outside.  Asian sellers are worse:  they have 6 photos of the front, and six of the back.

Edited by TomoHawk

5 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

Marchal driving lights.  I think they take a quartz / halogen bulb.  They will throw out a pencil beam resembling a laser and set fire to anything combustible within 15 yards.    As I recall, they are seriously bright.  Big heavy things.  Lots of amp draw.  Use a relay.

They sound like the right thing for my needs;  fog lamps don't illuminate things in the distance.  I will see if there is a compatible Hella lamp with a bit less intensity or a bit more dispersion.  But I already have a relay and appropriate wiring installed for  the fog lamps.  Mine are actuated by the de FOG  switch. :P

Im not going to be much help but I have a pair of 850s that I bought for a Jeep Comanche (AMC put them on Jeeps back in the day).  I was happy with the light output but I don't remember running them in the dark too often.  They had the "Cat" logo on the glass lenses and I really didn't want to drive with the covers off for fear of damaging them.  I don't remember them being any heavier than other lights.  I pulled them off the Jeep and stuck them in a box.  I have considered putting them on the Datsun.  Absolutely the same era.  I seem to recall the bulbs as being replaceable and still readily available.