IGNORED

Just found for sale 72 z automatic

Phil Z

Found what I was thinking of..

"Datsun also used this generation Z to expand the sporty coupe's repertoire: A 2+2 body style was added, splicing in almost a foot of wheelbase and rear jump seats that only kids and yoga instructors could fit in, as well as a first-ever three-speed automatic transmission. "

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hsx/2007/03/Datsun-260Z/1424363.html

I've owned one 240, two 260's and 2 280's, all manual

Too many out there with autos, must have mis-interpeted the article or it was wrong.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dlobi said:

"Datsun also used this generation Z to expand the sporty coupe's repertoire: A 2+2 body style was added, splicing in almost a foot of wheelbase and rear jump seats that only kids and yoga instructors could fit in, as well as a first-ever three-speed automatic transmission. "

Too many out there with autos, must have mis-interpeted the article or it was wrong.

Didn't read the article but I believe the 260 were the first 4 seaters.  Was yoga even a thing that long ago? I'd love to see some fur burgers in yoga pants. ROFL

Be like a Big Mac down there.

6 hours ago, Dlobi said:

From the wording in the article, I would say that the author intended to say that the automatic was first available with the 260Z. So either the author was wrong, or the article was poorly worded/edited. It contains the usual stuff about the 260Z was only built for 18 months, blah, blah, blah, neglecting the fact that the 2.6 was used outside of the US through 1978. 

Be careful what you read online. There are a lot of poorly written articles that will misinform in perpetuity.