IGNORED

1971 Master Cylinder question

Brushz

My 240Z has the early design master cylinder. I recently replaced the vacuum servo unit with the MSA one.

When everything was reassembled and brakes were bled, the brake pedal was very stiff. When I removed the master cylinder the piston only moves about 1/8 of an inch when I push on it.

My question is how much force does it take to move the MC piston? Is the MC shot?

Make sure there is free play in the rod, since you changed the booster

Sent from my SM-G930V using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Which rod? The booster moves freely with the brake pedal without the MC installed. With the MC installed there is almost no movement.

Does anyone have any experience with the remanufactured master cylinder available from Napa? From the photo it looks just like the OEM with the name scratched off.
IMG_0465.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Brushz said:

Which rod? The booster moves freely with the brake pedal without the MC installed. With the MC installed there is almost no movement.

Does anyone have any experience with the remanufactured master cylinder available from Napa? From the photo it looks just like the OEM with the name scratched off.
IMG_0465.JPG

Have them bring it to the store, if it's a stock reman then you are good, most likely it will be a knock off.  

The length if the rod that comes out of the booster and contacts the cup at the rear of the master cylinder. This length is very important and many times when you change the brake booster it throws the adjustment off. It may be slightly push the master cylinder piston in which messes everything up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 1

I think I may have it figured out. The rod coming out of the vac is longer than the original. I'll swap the end nut with the one from the original one and hopefully the will solve the problem.