IGNORED

OK to get the S30 wet?

wil84911

I would guess that getting it wet can promote rust, but its not practical to expect it to never rain. I wash my car but take the time to dry off places where water would just sit, like under the rear hatch. Also take it out after washing for the air and heat to help dry.

Make sure your battery tray is sorted so water does not drip off the battery onto the metal underneath it. I would also look to make sure there is no heavy built of organic material under the cowl or around the cowl drains under the fenders.

Make sure the windshield does not leak a drop into the interior of the car. see my video on checking for leaks.

Dry off chrome around rubber parts that tend to trap water.

check under floor mats after rain for wash, see if damp if so find out why and correct.

Don't spill brake fluid when topping up master cylinder.

keep in a garage if at all possible, avoid leaves falling and getting into places that you cant see, they turn to mulch and keep metal wet, promoting rust.

stay off road salt of course.

So many of the rusty Z's I've worked on got that way, in my opinion, from issues surrounding the battery tray and all areas below around and behind that that get drastically affected because of it. Exactly how and why this happens can be debated, but having a battery that does NOT exhaust corrosive fluids or gases is the single most important thing you can do to save your car.

While this is hardly the only problem area, to me, it represents the single biggest and fastest acting problem area.

Secondly, water that gets trapped and is allowed to sit is second worst. Floor mats and underlay MUST receive dry out maintenance as often as practical. Cowl drains should be extended to dump below the fender. 

The reason I'm going to this length is simple. To me, anything that prevents anyone from driving their Z is a crime. The sight of a dark cloud on the horizon is NOT a reason to not go for a drive. Simple rain in not your enemy, getting that water in a place where it can sit (or wash over your battery) is the problem.

Edited by zKars

Your biggest rust concern in New Jersey is salt from de-icing compounds.  I spent a few years in Philly and my Pathfinder foot rails were rotted out in just a few years.  Avoid the roads after weather cold enough for the DOT to start spreading salt or magnesium chloride.  

Just now, Zed Head said:

Your biggest rust concern in New Jersey is salt from de-icing compounds.  I spent a few years in Philly and my Pathfinder foot rails were rotted out in just a few years.  Avoid the roads after weather cold enough for the DOT to start spreading salt or magnesium chloride.  

Totally with you. It's gonna be difficult resisting from an itching driver's perspective. 

I live in Oregon and drive in the wet often, but it's clean water.  My car has some rust, but it's under the battery tray from lead salts from the battery. 

Good luck resisting.  Wheel spray from your car and others will travel.  Salt works fast.

• Like 1

I live in NJ as well. Avoid salt like the plague, and keep it clean. Make sure all the drains work properly, make sure there's no dirt or leag build up holding moisture, etc.

As for water, if you wash the car, or get rained on while out and about, and then put it away in a dry garage, I can't imagine that the water will stay there long enough to cause any damage. Maybe I'm not being paranoid enough, but I doubt that water from washing is going to cause damage, assuming the paint job is any good. Exception would be if it's pooling up somewhere in large enough amounts that it doesn't dry out quickly.

• Like 1

open the hatch after washing look at the flat piece  over the tail light area, now look in the corners. See that nice pool of water sitting right where the metal is seamed. Now look at various rusted out Z's same area. Just pop the hatch after rain/wash, wipe it out with a towel. I have heard that AGM batteries work better as far as acid on the surface of the battery (which gets water on it and then drains down the side, hopefully to a well sorted tray and drain tube). the only real surface rust on mine was under the brake master from being striped of paint by the brake fluid.

you should drive a better protected modern car on winter roads treated with salts. Worst thing in the world for a Z.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 1