IGNORED

More than a $600 parts car

KSRosser

Bought this car for $600 for parts thinking the body was hammered. It sat as a yard ornament while I worked on another project. Pulled it into the garage yesterday and started fiddling.

First, went to drain the tank and found it was empty (just a few drips). Then the fuel pump wouldn't turn. A whack with a rubber mallet solved that.

Then, it turned over, but the injectors weren't triggering. Opened up the 280-Z Fuel Injection book and went though every circuit (why not, save the frustration for later). Traced it down to the distributor trigger and went through that circuit. Not sure which wire was the issue, just cleaned them all.

Then it started!

I assume the engine was replaced with a Japan import cause it has a crank trigger assembly (I already had one of those).

This was a great find that will take some time to fix up. There's bizarre wiring bypasses. For instance the headlights and parking lamps are run by a toggle in the side of the console. PO also ran a wire from the battery, along side the hood cowling and under the dash to bypass a dead power wire.

Otherwise, the car's in better condition than my daily driver. Very little rust, decent carpet, heck the AC works! Then there's the 79-83 five speed.

My daughter is excited, that's where it's going. And, I get to keep my daily driver!IMG_1552.thumb.JPG.cab864930dac4adc59d0a07f67bd29a1.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Looks like the bumper duct tape needs replacing.

The 81 280ZX turbo engines used a crank trigger.  But they had 90 teeth, and three teeth.  How many teeth does yours have?   Not sure how it would work with the 280Z EFI system unless the PO rigged it to use the three.  Are you sure it's active, not just an artifact?

Edit - actually my brain just restarted and I realize that it wouldn't work with the 280Z EFI because there would be no timing control.  Anyway, looks like a fun project.

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

16 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Maybe an F54 with flat top pistons?  That'd be nice!

He'd be back to about a 75-77 engine with the N42 head.  That would work.  Maybe someone blew a head gasket on a turbo engine and just converted to NA.

Might be also that somebody just swapped the damper over from an 81.

Edited by Zed Head

It's an N42 block. I have had a Craigslist notification set up for an 82-83 manual turbo for a couple years now. I've passed up some decent buys cause it would cost more to move than the cost of the car!

I thought the body was hammered but it looks more like one dent and a horrible paint job. The top of this car looks like it has multiple layers of different paint colors, cracked, chipped, and covered.

The duct tape will have to go! I'd put a fiberglass bumper on it, but I've have road debris hit my steel bumper and I was thankful it was steel.

Sent from my iPad using Classic Zcar Club mobile

• 2 months later...

IMG_1636.JPG
Making progress removing the multiple layers of paint. The original color was gold found in the interior underside of storage lids. At some point the car was stripped and painted fire engine red, then painted white. Kleen Strip Aircraft Paint remover works well, I have a can of Eastwood coming soon, we'll see if that makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...