IGNORED

I.D. This Steering Wheel!!!!!!!

dhp123166

I rescued this from a Series One 240z part out.

In the original picture of it that the seller snapped, I mistakenly identified it as a 1600 Bluebird SSS steering wheel.

Up close though the rim is not that plastic imitation wood, it is foam rubber like a 74-78 s-30 ZCAR.

I think it is Nissan as it utilizes a 240z horn button mechanism.

Anyone have any ideas?

IMG_6853.JPG

IMG_6854.JPG

3 hours ago, JSM said:

Is that Japan label a sticker?  If you peel it back, it may say nardi or Italy. 

I can't think of any reason for someone (presumably in Japan...) to put a 'Japan' sticker on an Italian steering wheel, let alone a Nardi.

I think the wheel in question was made by Izumi, the same manufacturer as the stock steering wheels in many Nissans, including the S30-series Zs.

Izumi manufactured their own line of steering wheels to sell as aftermarket accessories. As well as the wood composite wheels used on the early Zs, they made real Leather and Leather-look steering wheels. The Leather-look versions featured moulded-in stitch details to make them look more like hand sewn leather. Izumi used this method on the Nissan Sports Option 'Datsun Compe' steering wheels.

OP, I think your wheel is the one on the right here:

4DbWot.jpg 

• Like 1

Thanks. I have owned an Izumi steering wheel before and it was foam rubber like the one I have now.

The thing is the positvely identified Izumi foam rubber was much higher quality than the foam rubber which is on the wheel I have currently.

There was no deterioration whatsoever to the denser Izumi foam and it remained attached to the substructure even with a few elapsed decades.

The foam rubber on the one I have now looks and feels one  exactly like a stock 260z or 280z steering wheel.

The foam is not that dense and has come detached from the substructure at the top of the wheel  as a result of sun exposure.

I will not rule out Izumi though as the shape and description are very close.

Edited by dhp123166

3 hours ago, HS30-H said:

I can't think of any reason for someone (presumably in Japan...) to put a 'Japan' sticker on an Italian steering wheel, let alone a Nardi.

Well now American companies are saying "assembled in USA" to market as made in USA. 

12 hours ago, JSM said:

Well now American companies are saying "assembled in USA" to market as made in USA. 

Yes, but this is the opposite to that. Any Italian-made steering wheel - and especially a Nardi - imported into Japan in the 1970/80s would be considered premium product. Slapping a 'Japan' sticker on it would not increase value or desirability in Japan, quite apart from it not representing true country of origin.

I think the 'Japan' sticker is a true reflection of origin, added to comply with laws in the country of sale.