IGNORED

LED conversion question-78 280Z

One Way

My game plan is to replace all the bulbs with LED units on the 78Z resurrection project.  I have never used any LED lights on any of our vehicles yet, but am impressed with the concept and performance on our LED lights we installed inside the house about 8 months ago.  All the original bulbs are clear on the Z.  Is it best to install LED bulbs of the same color as the lenses, or just replace the clear for the clear?  Thanks for any input, John-Lugoff, SC.

I've wondered why some sources say to match the light color with the lens but I can't justify it with anything I know other than if one has switched to a clear lens.   The color of the lens itself defines what color the human eye will interpret so I believe white or warm LED's will be sufficient.

Thanks for the replies.  Seems to be different opinions.  It gets a bit expensive on the LED bulbs especially if you use the Sylvania ZEVO bulbs.  Sticking with the clear bulbs simplifies the choice.  I believe Z Car Depot had only the colored ones listed for the LED upgrade for turn signal, side marker, tail light,etc.  The conversation will probably continue on.  Thanks again, John-Lugoff, SC.

Here's what Superbright has to say about the color. I used all bulbs that matched the color of the lens I put it behind and they turned out plenty bright. Read the item "Which Color LEDs Should I Use?"

https://www.superbrightleds.com/carbulb_notes.php

I've done every bulb on the outside of my 240Z along with the map, dome and glovebox. I put all the info in this thread. I also did the electronic flasher for both emergency flashers and blinkers.

Edited by w3wilkes