IGNORED

Dash cracks

joe newsom

There are numerous message threads posted by members who have had good luck fixing a cracked dash.  Looks like your dash is out, so half the battle is over.  Full dash covers seem to be OK, but have some compromises, like fit.  Here in the desert, they warp from the heat and sun.

Your dash looks better than what many have started with.  Give it a try.

Dennis

Replacement dashboards are very hard to find, if not impossible.  If you did find one they would cost in the neighborhood of $1,000 - 2,000 or higher.  You can try for a used one, but, it will just crack again.  I used to know of a place that re-builds dashes, I think it was called Just Dashes.  Oh, yes here it is:  http://www.justdashes.com/services/imports/  I have no current experience with the new management, but, I do remember some people said they did a good job.  I don't know how much they charge, sorry..

My dash is in about the same shape as yours.  I have thought about someday sending it off to justdashes but I have been concerned that it will get damaged in shipment so I probably never will.  Personally, I would rather have the cracks than a dash cover. 

I agree with the Quality.

When I asked them to send me 240 dash pics because the one on internet are not correct, they sent me the same again.

I asked them about the shape around the gauges. for me it is not correct. it looks wrong.

He reacted like "you are the only one ever complaining". --> this is a clear I give a sh.. what you think and what you want. --> BIG NOGO.

So I have to wait for another solution as well.

Sorry to hijack the thread here, but could you guys elaborate on the Just Dash's quality? I was about  to go that route because the 2 previous dash's that I had done for my GTO's were terrific. One was done 10 yrs ago and the other 2 yrs ago. Both still outstanding. Have they changed how they do the work or is it the shape of the Z dash that gives them trouble? Anyone else have a Z dash done there?

Got my dash back from Justdashes about 2 months ago.  The dash looks very nice and all of the instruments fit back in nicely.   You can see my write-up on this thread on pages 7 8 and 9

The cost was $1750 plus shipping.  Shipping is about $150 each way.  I dropped it off and picked up so no 'shipping' charges.

My only issue would be the texture of the plastic material.  To the naked eye, at about a two foot distance, the texture looks similar to the original as you can see in the pic with the glove box below.  If you do a close-up, however with camera magnification, you can see that the texture is not like the original (color is same for samples, lighting makes color look different.  justdashes is dark pic, original dash is gray pic).  If I could get hold of a Yick Sang or Mold-tech texture style book I could tell you what each is.  Also, they covered up a couple holes for switches that I had to re-drill, but otherwise, I would use them again if I had to (and could afford) a new dash.

dash_.JPG

dash0.JPG

dash3.JPG

dash2.JPG

dash.JPG

dash5_justdash texture.JPG

dash5_origianl texture (1).JPG

Edited by motorman7

It's a matter of what you want. The datsun Z dash is complicated and has a lot of fine details that just dashes does not preserve. Also don't like them stating the redo foam and surface of the dash, they instead fill in the cracks sand the surfaces smooth, then vacuume mold the covering. This takes out the ridge lines around the gauges, and rounds all the clean line the dash had. On top of the they never replace the work out material in the dash so it will crack soon than later. Some they went from Z dashes to just dashes they don't even match the pattern.

I was looking what it would take to reuse the frame and make the mold. Then is remold all the foam with new. But it was too costly

Sent from my ASUS_Z016D using Classic Zcar Club mobile