IGNORED

need some advice

petertohen

My son and I want to clean up / simplify the engine compartment and entire dash on his '72 complete resto. We want to keep the rear drum system and e-brake, but get rid of the factory brake warning light system on the fire wall and the factory proportioning valve - install an Arizona Z proportioning or another aftermarket one. We're completely removing the dash and existing electrical so we don't have issues with warning lights. Any insight on the above reduction and simplification?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_brake

thanks

I don't really relate to this desire. The car is very simple to begin with and the manufacturer didn't add anything they didn't believe was necessary. The brake light helps you know if you have a circuit failure in your brake system which you may not be able to tell otherwise...

IMO getting rid of the brake warning system or any warning light is not a reduction or a simplification.  More of an open door for a disaster.  One should never assume any brake system is always going to work, especially in a 40 something year old car. That's what those are for.  There are plenty of threads here and on other sites as to upgrading the brakes to wilwood or Toyota  4 piston and that is very doable. But I would keep the warning systems it it were me.

• Like 1