IGNORED

280z OEM strut bellows on a 240z?

I just went through the forum and can't find any specific mention of whether or not the strut bellows off a 280z work on a 240z. The reason I am asking is that I have seen mention of Tokico voiding the warranty if you install their structs without bellows, and I have also seen that OEM 280z bellows are available.

I have poly bump stops that came on the car and had intended to use them. If the 280z strut is essentially the same dimensionally as the 240z strut and there's nothing that should keep them from fitting, I'll pick up the OEM ones... because I like OEM stuff unless there's a good argument for aftermarket.

If any one has specific knowledge of a better option or that this plan won't work, please let me know.

good argument against aftermarket, they suck, hard plastic and poor fitment, at least on stock 280z strut assemblies.  The OE are nice, rubber, and fit well. Make sure you have the large wire clip that fits in the groove on the bottom to keep them snug in place.

• Like 1

+1 on Daves comment. The aftermarket unit I have are very poor fitment, hard plastic.

They are not specially made for the 280Z, but more a general size that will kind of fit a lot of makes and models. Simply economics in volume I guess. Not enough Datsun 280Z clients to warrent making a dedicated unit.

There might be better aftermarket units out there. I can only comment on the ones I have.

No car manufacturer adds parts that will never be seen (i.e. parts with no perceived value to a buyer) without a good reason.  Nissan must have decided that their OE-design struts (which didn't use a cartridge-style shock absorber) were failing prematurely because of either water/salt-induced corrosion and/or dirt intrusion at the top of the strut.  Of course, you will be installing cartridge-style aftermarket shocks made with modern materials and there's reason to expect that they're less susceptible to top seal failure than the somewhat old-fashioned design that Nissan used on the S30's.

don't forget the RING SNAP #48 without that they prob will not stay in place very well on the lower part of the strut. If you don't have one to look at, its a piece of wire that looks like its made from spring steel, with a eyelet formed on the ends to prevent it from digging into the rubber.

Edited by Dave WM

240zs had nothing as far as I can tell.

Looks like Courtesy has the bellow/dust cover (54055-n3700) for $48, but the snap ring (54057-n3700) is discontinued.

Also, MSA says 2 required per car, but also that they're sold individually, which should mean 4 per car. Curious.