IGNORED

Balance tube

240dkw

Found a couple of balance tubes in the carb bin. Thought I would try my hand a welding alum. They turned out OK, but if you look close you can see the fill area as the wire I used must be a different alloy than the original alum. 

IMGP1872.jpg

IMGP1863.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

These are now for NCV.. ?  (Meaning NO crankcase Ventilation) :ph34r:

Not sure what you are saying . the PCV connection is still there under the left linkage arm where it always was. These have both the PCV and brake vac connections.

13 hours ago, 240dkw said:

Not sure what you are saying . the PCV connection is still there under the left linkage arm where it always was. These have both the PCV and brake vac connections.

I am curious on your polishing technique.  Are you using Clay bars, what brand?  Sanding? 80, 180, 400, 800, polish?

Now I see, I couldn't remember where the PVC opening was, here is a couple of balance tubes I did a few years ago, after all the grinding and sanding I couldn't bear the thought of polishing them too, kudos to you for going all the way.

21 hours ago, 240dkw said:

DSCN6367.jpgDSCN6400.jpg

On 10/4/2017 at 8:10 AM, JSM said:

I am curious on your polishing technique.  Are you using Clay bars, what brand?  Sanding? 80, 180, 400, 800, polish?

I start with a large body file, than finer files until the shape is correct. Than on to sandpaper going from 80 down to 600. After than a couple of 3M super fine and micro fine sanding pads. Than on to the buffing wheel starting with the black and finishing with the red polishing compound. A clean with Mothers Alum polish to finish it off. It is quite a bit of work to get one done. The most aggravation comes from the files loading up with alum and causing deeper scratches than the file. 

I heard that running the file over a bar of soap now and then keeps the file from clogging with aluminum.  Well, actually I heard this technique for grinding disks, but the theory should be the same.  Tube looks awesome...me, too lazy to attempt such a thing.  But, I am smack dab in the middle of polishing a vintage Airstream trailer.  The effort is messy, and tiring for sure...after a few hours, I turn black.

Edited by David F