IGNORED

WTB: 81 - 83 shift lever Wanted

7tooZ

My expirence with the swap over was the ZX shifter is straighter and wouldn't work with my 240 inner rubber boot as well as the outer pleather boot. I had to grind a little off my 240 rod to work all the gears. Go to datsungarage.com and read the transmission info. There's a Mustang shifter that works with the Borg Warner.

My expirence with the swap over was the ZX shifter is straighter and wouldn't work with my 240 inner rubber boot as well as the outer pleather boot. I had to grind a little off my 240 rod to work all the gears. Go to datsungarage.com and read the transmission info. There's a Mustang shifter that works with the Borg Warner.

Thx for the advise

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

1 hour ago, Hardway said:

I have a whole assortment of shift levers and a stock T5 shifter for sale on my local CL.  Let me know what you are interested in and I can send you some bigger pictures.

https://austin.craigslist.org/pts/d/assorted-datsun-240z-260z/6322505706.html  

Steering wheel is a good deal. Very tempting for me. They sale for $300 refurbished.  Good luck with the sale of your parts. 8^)

1 hour ago, 7tooZ said:

Thx for the advise

And I failed to mention the problem with the straight ZX shifters, they tear the inner rubber boot allowing fumes and heat to enter the cabin. The pleather boot will eventually tear going to 5th gear.

My expirence. Others may have a solution I'm not able to offer?

45 minutes ago, 7tooZ said:

Yah there are different way to get it done. Here mine and did not have cut the console used An 83 close ratio. Looks just like my shortened 4 speed shifter did. Image1506635914.705391.thumb.jpg.604a993f802cc1b359d3316e257a3860.jpg

PS that is in reverse

But you did modify that OE shfter, right? It looks good shorter like that. i didn't have to cut my tunnel either just a slight bit of material removed from the bottom of the OE shift rod.

The straight ZX rod worked great until I put the 240 rubber boot and outer boot on.

1463343488656.jpg

So I used the curved 280 rod but like Gnose says it would pop out of 5th and reverse in my car.  I ran the ZX rod without the boots and console  to put some miles on the new motor.  Deal with it later I said.

Later came and I noticed these nothches on the bottom of the curved rod.

DSC01434.JPG

DSC01441.JPG

So I started grinding small bits at a time.  It still would pop out so I ground more until it was staying in gear.  Here's where I ended up, still stout as I've been driving it for a year now without any issues.

DSC01450.JPG

Here's what the zx shifter did to my old rubber boot, luckily I have a local junkyard with a few 280s I can get stuff from.

DSC01458.JPG

Edited by siteunseen