IGNORED

Automatic Conversion

joe newsom

Joe
What year is your body? If it is an early car this would be similar to converting from a early 4 speed to a later model 5 speed.
What year is your transmission?
Which shift lever do you have?
Are you concerned that you may want to revert to an automatic?
What are you going to us for the console?

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Ok so pretty standard. Conversion. Here are some of my thoughts:

First I am not familiar with the automatic console.

The 5 speed lever is about 2.5" closer the engine than a 71 series II 4 speed. It is common for the shift lever to make contact with the stock 71 stock tunnel. Most just enlarge the front side of the hole about 1 - 1 1/2 inch. And then use a 260z inner shift boot and customizes the shift lever. That creates an issue with the seriesII console as the shift boot and lever do not have enough room to go into fifth gear without hitting the console. Trying to use a 72-73 console is difficult because the mounting points are slightly different

Assumming the automatic console is the same as a manual console I would extend the tunnel opening and trim the edge of the console to avoid the lever hitting it. This requires that the transmission and lever be in place. There are several strings here that deal with the shift lever. Here is my version.

IMG_4725.JPG.74b8f103026cc0b082d90afb286ce351.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

• 3 weeks later...