IGNORED

Brake lights

SeKcGamer

I pulled my car into the auto body shop in school because I notice one taillight was dimmer than the other. I fixed the dim issue. But I asked my friend to see if my brake lights worked and he said they didnt. Also I was really low on brake fluid because my dad was removing the calipers to see why there was a lot of squeaking. I bought some today and poured it in. Do you guys think it's the brake switch?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Classic Zcar Club mobile

The switch at the brake pedal is a simple on-off switch, actuated by the pedal positon.  It should have power to the connector at all times.  That would be the simplest place to start I think.  If there's no power there then you'll know which side to work on to narrow things down.  Crawl up under the dash with a meter and see what you find.

The switch at the brake pedal is a simple on-off switch, actuated by the pedal positon.  It should have power to the connector at all times.  That would be the simplest place to start I think.  If there's no power there then you'll know which side to work on to narrow things down.  Crawl up under the dash with a meter and see what you find.

The voltimeter read 3.56 at the switch

Sent from my SM-J320V using Classic Zcar Club mobile

There are two sides - one to the lights and their ground point, and the other from the power source,  You only reported one number.

Break out that circuit testing knowledge.  This is a very simple one, power on one side and device on the other.  It's just a switch, a break in the circuit.  Button in, circuit made, button out, circuit broken.

Those are good things to check that ZH mentioned.  

Also, when it the last time you checked the bulbs in the sockets?  If you've never checked before, that is a common connection problem due to rust and crud built up over time on cars that have sat for a long time.  It happens to the running/parking lights also.  Probably a good time to check them all.  Deoxit is the cleaner that some of the electrical guys around here like to recommend.

• Like 1

Those are good things to check that ZH mentioned.  
Also, when it the last time you checked the bulbs in the sockets?  If you've never checked before, that is a common connection problem due to rust and crud built up over time on cars that have sat for a long time.  It happens to the running/parking lights also.  Probably a good time to check them all.  Deoxit is the cleaner that some of the electrical guys around here like to recommend.

IMG_3073.JPG
This was the one that's dim.. .could this be shorting it out. do you think a socket from a 260z should work?. Sorry for the late response, I had work.

Sent from my iPad using Classic Zcar Club mobile