IGNORED

Sylvania ZEVO LED light bulbs

ramsesosirus

For anyone who has been on the fence about LEDs:

I bought some Sylvania 2357 brake/tail bulbs since they offered 25% more lumens on the hi (brake) setting, but I didn't notice much difference.

So I headed to Walmart and picked up the Sylvania ZEVO LED 1157R for $20 (2 bulbs).  They advertise a "lifetime warranty" on the package, and they plug right into the stock bulb housing.

I've been skeptical of LEDs, even though I like them and the idea, but these are designed differently.  They have a shield to reflect the light onto the stock reflector instead of multiple "diodes" (square things).

No pics, but I highly recommend these specific bulbs for Z's, at least the 280z.  The brightness is at least the same as the 2357, which is supposed to be 40/3 candlepower (or lumens?).

The difference between the tail lights and brake is good.  Great red color.  Also, instant on when you touch the brake.  Also cheaper than the superbrightleds.com ones.

I think Osram/Sylvania did great with these, realizing that most incandescent housings rely on the reflector.

Thought I'd share this.  And you don't need any resistors or different flashers for these.

I also bought some 67/89 LED bulbs with the clear glass shield from superbrightleds.com for the license plate lights, and they are awesome.  Very white light and fit into the stock housing just fine.  I actually put a strip of electrical tape on the lenses to lessen their brightness.  I'm not sure if I'll do LED's all around, but some wattage savings here and there will help the stock wiring and alternator a great deal.  

I majored in "Architectural Enginering: Lighting/Electrical in college, so you know I love lighting.   

zevo red.jpeg

https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/67+led/

^^Here's a link to the License Plate bulbs I got.  Very nice.  The stock 280z plate housing shines the light too brightly- the ground behind the car is clearly lit (even with stock bulbs).  As mentioned, 2 strips of electrical tape can reduce this.

Edited by ramsesosirus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've done all my bulbs on the outside of my 240Z with LED along with dome, map and glovebox. Here's the post I put the bulb list in;

The key to lights behind colored lenses for brightness is to get bulbs that are the same color as the lens you're putting it behind.

For Headlights

Had to use the anti-flicker harness to get the headlights to fire. With patience you can get the anti-flicker harness to fit in the stock headlight can with the LED H6024 bulb, I did.