IGNORED

Rear brake conversion

joe newsom

Lots of options for doing either or both but....I am curious what are you trying to achieve. How do you use your car? What about the stock brake performance do you want to improve?

My opinion...for a street car, even one that you drive in a really spirited way, totally rebuilt stock brakes with Porterfield or Hawk pads (and probably other brands too) work really well.

And, along with pads, another way to improve stock brakes would be tires.

I do track days with my MX-5 and braking is amazing. If I were to do track days with one of my zcars, I would probably start with stock brakes, track pads, and Castrol SPF brake fluid....and track appropriate tires. I bet I would need to improve my driving before I found myself needing better calipers, converting rear drums to disk, etc. 

Anyway...I don't mean to sound like I am discouraging upgrading. I have thought of doing it too....but usually remind myself how well the stock brakes work and then find something else to focus on. Just curious about your goals and thought process.

• Like 1

Lots of options for doing either or both but....I am curious what are you trying to achieve. How do you use your car? What about the stock brake performance do you want to improve?
My opinion...for a street car, even one that you drive in a really spirited way, totally rebuilt stock brakes with Porterfield or Hawk pads (and probably other brands too) work really well.
And, along with pads, another way to improve stock brakes would be tires.
I do track days with my MX-5 and braking is amazing. If I were to do track days with one of my zcars, I would probably start with stock brakes, track pads, and Castrol SPF brake fluid....and track appropriate tires. I bet I would need to improve my driving before I found myself needing better calipers, converting rear drums to disk, etc. 
Anyway...I don't mean to sound like I am discouraging upgrading. I have thought of doing it too....but usually remind myself how well the stock brakes work and then find something else to focus on. Just curious about your goals and thought process.

I am in total agreement. These cars perform well when stock and are in great condition. A brake conversion cost you time and money for so little extra performance.
If you want to, because you can, to a well established maker and follow proven procedures. Wilwood makes new systems that work well.
Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

One advantage to rear discs might be that they'll be more consistent in pedal feel.  I've noticed that I can tell when the adjuster in the back has moved to the next notch, with my drum brakes.  But it's a lot of work for a small benefit.

There's a whole range of pads out there to get more stop from the fronts.  Not a lot of choice in the back though.  That would be one more benefit.

So, if you really want to put the effort in you could make a system that is more consistent and has more media choice.  But, really, they're pretty good brakes.  The front rotors are huge for the size of the car.  I bought a pair at a wrecking yard and the girl at the counter tried to charge me for truck rotors.