IGNORED

FS5W71B 280zx transmisson rebuild

Dave WM

More progress, heeding ZH advise I went back and took another crack at the bearing splitter puller. I had to remove the loosen the bearing retainer plate to free up the reverse idler, with that out of the way I have a clean shot with the split puller, thank to ZH for getting me back on track :)

Not all was smooth sailing, I near nearly ruined one of the torx screws by trying to remove it with a hand held torx set that I had. sort of like a Swiss army knife of torx. well it started to deform the torx head so I went out to the local hardware store and picked up a torx bit  with a 3/8 sqr drive.

not trusting doing more damage I used my hand held impact driver, gave it a few solid whacks with a 4 lb BFH, and volia all is good again. I am going to have to go back and get some washers now, (forgot them) as I want to take up the space between the split puller to get it really tight together before I  start in on the removal, but at this point things are looking up.

Edited by Dave WM

yea! back cluster is completely off, only casualty was I seem to have lost one of the 3 little springs in the hub assy, I don't know how as I was very careful and thought I had accounted for them all. No big deal, seems like an easy cheap spring to get OE.

taking a break now to get re organized removing the main shaft looks like it may be fiddly.

I may have found the smoking gun. the input shaft main bearing. I thought I checked this when it was out, prob did not clean it up enough, or test it long enough.

all the bearings are out most seem pretty good, I will have to compare side by side to the new ones, but the input will catch and hang up when turned slowly after I have thoroughly cleaned and dried it.

looking to replace the 5th gear NLA inner race of the needle bearing. think its 27x32X30

can't find anything like that, but did find this

https://www.123bearing.com/accessory-bearing-inner-race-IR28-32-30.php

Was wondering if I could use some shim stock .5mm and wrap the main shaft with that where the bearing IR goes. the whole setup is a light press fit to start with, I was planning to heat expand the bush and cool the shaft anyway as to not impart it with any force to fit.

Or if this ID OD matches a machine shop to mill off to correct length. it listed a 1.490 which looks to be about 8mm too long.

https://cobratransmission.com/nissan-fs5w71c-4-cylinder-5th-gear-sleeve-50042094-1

I looks like they share the same needle bearing, so if the ID is correct all that needs to be done is to grind down the length (if that can be done).

Edited by Dave WM

got the omega machines bush for the tail shaft. Seems like a lot better build quality, and the same length as what was in there (40mm vs the 35 for the cheapo one). the old one looked horrible. I don't know if it was due to the oil gutter that was knocked off when I got it, perhaps it had been run with out it for some time, so very little gear lube would make it to the bushing. More good news, I was able to find a new OD gear bush that will not need to be modified (I still have the over size one, just in case the one that comes in is not right). Its being shipped from overseas so may take a while. Got some new needle bears too since the bush is new.

The springs came in for the syncro hubs, so I put the rev/5th one back together. that is the one I lost a spring on. It was a little intimidating at 1st until I figure out how to hold the engagement dogs in place while sliding the ring over the hub. I have to say that working on the transmission has been one of the most enjoyable parts of the car.

100_1104.JPG

100_1105.JPG

100_1106.JPG

100_1107.JPG

Edited by Dave WM

That is the same bush I installed in mine. It took all the up and down movement out of the propeller shaft/drive shaft. I had a couple for an Opal Omega transmission, right size for the yoke, but too big for the extension housing hole. The omega worked well.

When you install it, leave it in the freezer overnight and warm the rear extension with a hot air gun until it's hot to touch. The bush will tap in easily.

32 minutes ago, EuroDat said:

That is the same bush I installed in mine. It took all the up and down movement out of the propeller shaft/drive shaft. I had a couple for an Opal Omega transmission, right size for the yoke, but too big for the extension housing hole. The omega worked well.

When you install it, leave it in the freezer overnight and warm the rear extension with a hot air gun until it's hot to touch. The bush will tap in easily.

that is close to what I did, use a 100watt light bulb set on directly on the housing for a couple hours, then freezer followed up with some dust off from an inverted can. As you say, it tapped right in with a plastic hammer. I followed it up with an oversized socket to make sure it was flush with the alum housing, only light taps needed to set it perfectly flush. I was careful to align the oil hole with the oil trough.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 1

will get a press tomorrow, 20t from HF. Think I can make up the required tooling to support the bearings for pressing in the shafts. Or will stick with plan and try do the same as village land. Been wanting a press anyway, figure would be nice to have it around. I thing with some creative thinking I can make the jigs from steel plumbing pipes and mounts. Driving me crazy to have to wait for parts now that I have it all apart. I think just about have the assembly sequence memorize. there was one thing that I could not see in the FSM. The thrust washer on 1st gear has two divots on opposite sides. I think they go against the gear and not the adapter plate, at least that's how I have it on my dowel the other thrust washers are just flat so does not matter.

I measured the balk rings again the gaps are nearly the same between the old and new, within the margin of measurement error using my stacked up feeler gages (will look for some that are wider so I don't have to stack so much). just have to go at there and stare at it for now. 

9 minutes ago, JSM said:

I see Datsun Daves Transmissions in the future!

I would be so all over that. We were looking a property up in NE Alabama, oh my there was a 40*60 climate controlled shop with what looked like at least 12ft ceilings.

Get this there was a body shop and alignment shop down the street. I told her I can retire and go get an apprentice job a the body shop, rest of the time I will be in my shop. she can have the house to herself!

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 3