duffymahoney

Duffy's 1/71 Series 1 240z build

3 hours ago, Patcon said:

I don't understand why the bleeders are a problem? Is it because you can't the air cleaner cover off and on with them there?

Exactly. Air cleaner cover can’t go on and off, hits the bleeders. 

Found all the belts and got them installed along with my radiator and hoses! She might someday run again.  Also found out my AC idler pulley was seized, but luckily someone on a site had found a napa part #38038 that matches perfect, either then pressing a bearing out, plus the pulley was cast iron and heavy and rusted.  

20171005_165719707_iOS.jpg

20171005_182943731_iOS.jpg

20171005_182954216_iOS.jpg

• Like 1

Hopefully the gas tank will go back in next week after coating, started to replace hoses today.  Going with normal rubber gas lines, not the braided, I am not going to do braided on anything.  I strangely don't like the way it looks.  Sorry guys.

But I am very happy to find no rust behind these panels! Just lots of dust. Clamps still look brand new, a few of the grommets are ruined and dried, but I should be able to get the areas cleaned and done fairly quickly.  Also looks to have had the rear taillights switched out at some point?  Or a new wiring harness? So strange.  

20171006_191649606_iOS.jpg

20171006_190332324_iOS.jpg

20171006_190335927_iOS.jpg

Got my dunlop 205/55-15, they don't look very big!  Also if anyone has ever had to change the heater core hoses, knows my pain, that sucked.  But almost all rubber hoses are replaced as of now.  

20171009_182320710_iOS.jpg

20171010_000624504_iOS.jpg

It's almost easier to pull the whole dash than it is to climb in upside down with your face crammed into the passenger foot well, miserable job. Did you also change the heater valve while you were in there?

11 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

It's almost easier to pull the whole dash than it is to climb in upside down with your face crammed into the passenger foot well, miserable job. Did you also change the heater valve while you were in there?

I didn’t change the valve. It looks brand new and holds pressure. Fingers crossed! Also tested the heater core. But it could still be bad. 

Yes, I just replaced my heater core hoses a couple of weeks ago. More fun than laughing right out loud! Found in another thread that the key is to unscrew the valve from the side of the heater core, undo the little hose from the valve to the core and then completely remove the valve from the hose that goes through the firewall. This gets you "almost" decent access to the hose closest to the firewall. Then went in reverse. Still a pain in the butt. I also replaced that little reducer hose by the block heater hose and ordered a backup, I figure that little piece of hose with the 2 different size ends will be discontinued like some of the fuel tank vent hoses.

Edited by w3wilkes

2 hours ago, duffymahoney said:

Got my dunlop 205/55-15, they don't look very big!  Also if anyone has ever had to change the heater core hoses, knows my pain, that sucked.  But almost all rubber hoses are replaced as of now.  

20171009_182320710_iOS.jpg

20171010_000624504_iOS.jpg

Will look fine once you get those coil overs dialed.

I got my 205/55 R15s mounted.  They look a little goofy right now (too much side wall), but I bet when they are actually on they will look better.  

20171010_185500013_iOS.jpg

I had the 16 inch Panasport rims on my gold 70 for a short while.  Eventually transferred them over to my Yellow Z.  This is what the wheels looked like on the gold car.  I am pretty sure the tires are 205/60 - 16's

70 240Z.jpg

• Like 2

0921171217a-1.jpg....I'm old school I guess..195/70/14 4 lug. I like the tall rubber filling the wheel well. Put new factory spec springs in and ride height is like it was " back then".

Sent from my SM-T800 using Classic Zcar Club mobile

17 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

DAMN that's fine looking car!

Thanks!  The even more amazing thing is that it's 47+ year old paint, bumpers, rubber, etc. She is spoiled and is typically kept in hibernation.

• Like 1

Well the wilwood 1" MC fits and the stock air cleaner can barely I mean barely can come on and off.  You have to move the the bleeders to the other sides.  I also set the pushrod around 8mm longer then stock, I ended up measuring the depth of stock and going off of that, this is because the wilwood is deeper.   Now I just need to bend new lines and it should be ready.  I got the unit off of california datsun, came setup for the z with fittings and drilled out.  

20171011_014712023_iOS.jpg

20171011_015307963_iOS.jpg

20171011_015313472_iOS.jpg

20171011_020617406_iOS.jpg

• Like 1

I am switching all stock hoses out, all look pretty good but are brittle or cracked.  I decided against braided, partly because all I found said they won't work with ethanol and partly because I don't want the braids trapping dirt and grease.  I got all but the larger diameter installed (close to 5/8).  The 5/8th I got was a strangely large OD.  So it wouldn't work.  Found one online that will though. Routing them was a pain.  Going with all hoses rated for ethanol.

The evap tank is crazy design.  Also replaced all the grommets.  I am so happy with the level of rust on this Z.  This area sure looks amazing.  

20171013_013547211_iOS.jpg

20171013_030658453_iOS.jpg

Since I have a series 1 the brake lines are reversed on the wilwood MC.  So I had to buy lines and bend them.  What a pain, they don't look great, but I was about to throw them in the garbage when I finally figured it out. I also removed some over spray and also cleaned up some wiring around the coil.  Also got my fake wats star wars rogue squadron hub cap centers! Dorky, but I love them.  

Broke off the exhaust studs, tried welding to them, but my welds just break.  I think my two options are either remove the manifold or drill and tap, if I can get them drilled out easily.  

20171016_190623678_iOS.jpg

20171016_011842823_iOS.jpg

20171015_213117291_iOS.jpg

20171015_184651918_iOS.jpg

20171015_173418722_iOS.jpg

Is that a LED shop light you're using in that last pic? That's a really weird effect. Those multiple hard edged shadows give me a headache!

Help meeeeee.... Please hellllp meeee!!

15 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Is that a LED shop light you're using in that last pic? That's a really weird effect. Those multiple hard edged shadows give me a headache!

Help meeeeee.... Please hellllp meeee!!

LEDs or flashbacks?

Time to replace that stock exhaust manifold with headers.

Pictures of your Air Conditioning compressor bring back memories.   My dealer installed AC was a $600 option and it never worked worth a $^!#.   Dealer tried different changes over first 18 months and none ever worked in the Florida heat.    I drove to California in 1974 during gas crisis for 6-month assignment at Edwards Air Force Base in Mojave Desert ........ the AC was useless.   I ripped out the entire system but kept the AC compressor and brought it back to Florida.   It is resting n my attic for last 40+ years.    In those days the AC Compressor had one use ........ a boat anchor.

2 hours ago, kinfish said:

Time to replace that stock exhaust manifold with headers.

Pictures of your Air Conditioning compressor bring back memories.   My dealer installed AC was a $600 option and it never worked worth a $^!#.   Dealer tried different changes over first 18 months and none ever worked in the Florida heat.    I drove to California in 1974 during gas crisis for 6-month assignment at Edwards Air Force Base in Mojave Desert ........ the AC was useless.   I ripped out the entire system but kept the AC compressor and brought it back to Florida.   It is resting n my attic for last 40+ years.    In those days the AC Compressor had one use ........ a boat anchor.

It is gigantic! I would like the option of AC, I might look into the zx ac bracket and pump and upgrade my system.  If I can use most of the parts.