Mike

Jai's Status

The rear deck lock is unique. You can't use any other lock there.

The only thing that is portable between the deck lock and the rest of the car is the tumblers inside. Other than that, completely unique.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2017 at 12:31 PM, Mark Maras said:

Just got a heads up from Jai. If all goes according to plan she and Greg (gwri8) are going to look at the donor car today. Anyone have suggestions about what extra small parts she should consider getting while she can, aside from the required body parts. Suggested items so far are the ECU, console that she mentioned was cracked, turn signal switch. This opportunity is too good to not include as many small parts as she can.

The piece underneath the bumper and grill, that gets scraped on the parking bumpers and shrubbery, is often bent.  The painted part that's hard to reach when you're washing the car.  Worth a look.  My local wrecking yard calls it a gravel pan, but I don't know why.

10 hours ago, Zed Head said:

My local wrecking yard calls it a gravel pan, but I don't know why.

Because they're always full of gravel.  Gravel plate? :D

Stone deflectors is what google.com says.

On 10/4/2017 at 4:01 PM, wheee! said:

Interested to know whether that is an early 76 or late (post august 76). I might snag a few early parts from it too if the model variant is correct.

Production date was 06/76,  Jai has has the serial #.

Then she should grab the door cards if they're good. Rare as hens teeth.

Hi all,

The donor car build date is 6/76, Vin 308,212.

The parts I bought off it are:

Complete fender, with everything attached to it including bezel, headlight rims, and running light

Right bumper shock

Console, from radio back, between seats including ash tray, with attached sensors 

Complete turn signal assembly

Both windshield wipers

Shift knob

Fuse box cover

All for the fantastic price of $225.00.  And I didn't  even wear a mask!  How cool was that? 

The door cards are in wonderful condition, he wanted $50 each.  I did not need them, and I don't  have the extra $ to get them "in case".

Thanking Greg for all his assistance with this purchase, wise advice included.

:wow:

Jai

• Like 1

Yesss, a wonderful price.  Especially when the body shop cut me a check for the $225.  That was to buy the fender and bumper alone.  But I didn't want that bumper, not as good as what I wanted.  The bezel, Quality parts wanted $220 for it.  So getting the fender complete with the bezel and headlight rings was ok with the body shop.  They then went ahead and ordered the bumper from Quality for $785.

RedBird will be going to body shop on Monday for her "facelift" to start. Getting rid of her black eye.  :D   Yay!

The Black Bear Festival with the car show is on Saturday 10/21.  I just found out there is to be a dog show there on Sunday 10/22 too.  If I can locate a safe spot to park RedBird on Sunday, Lissa and I will be attending the dog show too.  A double win for the 3 of us would be out of sight!

Looking forward for all to begin.  But first having my 2nd cataract surgery on Tues., and still having left over food poisoning symptoms.  Need to be past these, then onward to Festivities at Black Bear.

:cool:

• Like 1

On 10/5/2017 at 2:54 AM, wheee! said:

Ooooo! Nice! SASSZ was born 09/75!

RedBirds big sister...

Ha!

Just saw Sassz's Vin number, 271,295.   With RedBird's being 277,450.  In the month between our girls, 6,155 Z's were produced.  Cool!!!

Jai

• Like 1

On 9/17/2017 at 9:00 PM, siteunseen said:

I dug this out. Your welcome to it. I think this is the passenger's side? I also have the driver's side. Goes in front of the tire.

20170917_154805.jpg

I'll  have to see when they get into the interior in the well to see if this is a needed part replacement.  Thanks again. I'll  let you know ASAP if it is needed.  I cannot tell myself when looking at the damage.

Jai

If this is part of the "3 piece valance" you talked about buying earlier, you won't need mine. But if you haven't bought that yet you need this from your pictures of the wrecks damage. This is the lower front curve around fender before the front lip or valance. It's the lower metal in front of your passengers side front tire, the end of the front bumper finishes over this piece. That sharp bend is where the bumper fits.

11 hours ago, siteunseen said:

If this is part of the "3 piece valance" you talked about buying earlier, you won't need mine. But if you haven't bought that yet you need this from your pictures of the wrecks damage. This is the lower front curve around fender before the front lip or valance. It's the lower metal in front of your passengers side front tire, the end of the front bumper finishes over this piece. That sharp bend is where the bumper fits.

The 3 piece valence was not purchased.  What I'm understanding from you is, on your visual you have determined that this piece is needed.  Right? If so, can you mail it to the body shop, since I'll  not have a way to deliver it?  Do you have pay pal?  If not, PM me your address and I'll  mail you the postage, and any other fee if you need.  I'll  get the body shop address to you too.  

Thank you for this fine offer.

Jai

I think you need it but let's get the advice of "the Guys" that know more about bodywork than me.

What do you all think?  Mine needs painting but other than that is a good piece of tin.

jai's fender.png

20170917_154805.jpg

The old one looks to be usable if it's massaged a bit. Maybe if the body shop didn't have to spend time on that piece they could repair the small rust spots by the windshield instead. It's worth a try.

RedBird is in the hands of the body shop now.  Sigh, lonely here without her in the carport.  Rex promised to make sure her repairs are correct and she will be under cover the whole time there.  I know she will shine like a newly minted coin.   Perfect, in time for the Black Bear Festival.  And this time, I won't have to do the labor!  :victorious:

I thank each of you for your parts involved with this repair for her.  You are the  best!  I promise photos of the Festival with her.

Jan   :bunny:

Michael the painter at the body shop,... who is my neighbor, just sent me these photos of RedBird in the paint booth!

Isn't she lovely???   :wub:

Jai

Hoodjpeg_0.jpg

Paint shopjpeg_0.jpg

Partsjpeg_0.jpg

• Like 2

I see something that was in my truck and blue Monday. :D

That looks GREAT Jai!  Those guys jumped on it doggone it. 

Those black & white Bears will love your fabulously cute little red car.

full.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, siteunseen said:

I see something that was in my truck and blue Monday. :D

That looks GREAT Jai!  Those guys jumped on it doggone it. 

Those black & white Bears will love your fabulously cute little red car.

full.jpeg

Yes yes yes!  Thank you so much!

Who is in this photo?

Ja

If I have time after getting RedBird back with only 2 - 3 days before the Black Bear Festival, I thought I would try to put some white lettering and black dye on my front carpets.  Anyone have suggestions for products I can get locally in my small town?   Or difficulty in this effort?  

Thanks,

Jai

Making a big announcement!!!

Quality parts should NOT BE TRUSTED!  For one thing they said the bumper from them, that Rex at the body shop had agreed to buy and sent them a check last Tues, was supposed to be in PERFECT CONDITION.  Now they called me today and said there are 3 dents in it, AND by the way... it is still sitting there, sniff... they whined, the carrier had not picked it up yet!  What???  Well why not???  No follow through?   Livid I was!   Now they are saying it will be Fri before it arrives here.  Grrrr!  That leaves me no time at all to do the few things I had planned with RedBird.

Tomorrow I'm  telling Quality that I have written this, and because of their dropping the ball, I think they should overnight it.  It is not my, or the body shops fault, that this has happened!  Only their ineptness!   I'm  thinking that the over 30,000 folks on CZCC will be very interested in what has happened to me.  

I do not want to take her to the Black Bear Festival Saturday with no bumper, or a 240 one.  I wish to keep her as original 1976 as possible.  There is a maybe option with "thumpgun" and those parting cars he is involved with.  They are just over an hour from me, but I have no way of transportation to go get one if they have it.

This truly has made me upset and sad.  If anyone has an idea I would love to hear it.

Sending photos of the bumper Quality is sending.

Jai

Bumper 3.JPG

Bumper 2.JPG

Bumper 1.JPG