Mike

Jai's Status

Hi,

Looking at headlamps now.  Wondering if since I have to get a new right side, would this maybe be the time to upgrade both sides?  

I saw this set on eBay, and it says a good choice for my car.  Have anyone used these type headlights?  I'd  sure like to get away from the dim yellow headlights.  

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/230154579497   -   2 sealed beam white headlights

Thanks for helping.

Jai

On 9/29/2017 at 3:10 PM, Redwing said:

Which are $785 for the bumper, and $220. for the bezel etc.  Rex asked me if he was able to pin down a fender from them, would I be OK with him ordering the 3 from Quality Parts?

That seems high to me. I can get that for less than half of that at the yard by me but I would have to pull it myself. A good fender should be sourced too

as the cost of repair typically is more than the replacement part and the result is full of bondo.

13 hours ago, Lumens said:

That seems high to me. I can get that for less than half of that at the yard by me but I would have to pull it myself. A good fender should be sourced too

as the cost of repair typically is more than the replacement part and the result is full of bondo.

Hi Lumens,

Thank you for your comment.    Yes the bumper seems high priced, but the insurance is willing to pay it.   I mean, I don't  know if I should be upset at that price or not.   I would not want to ask anyone to go to the trouble of pulling one for me, unless it would pay them well to do it.   I would not want to use anyone.  If this one at Quality was not available, that would be another story.  

Yes the fender is needed too, I do not want bondo.

Jan   :D

13 hours ago, gwri8 said:

Found this close by Jai.  Looks like it might have everything you need.   https://nwga.craigslist.org/pts/d/1976-dats havel280z-parts/6322845727.html

Thank you Greg.  I just talked to them.  Fender $150, bumper $75, etc.  Going    this afternoon to see the parts and pay for them.  He will remove them for me.  But I'll have to go back to pick them up  In a different vehicle.  

• Like 1

Just got a heads up from Jai. If all goes according to plan she and Greg (gwri8) are going to look at the donor car today. Anyone have suggestions about what extra small parts she should consider getting while she can, aside from the required body parts. Suggested items so far are the ECU, console that she mentioned was cracked, turn signal switch. This opportunity is too good to not include as many small parts as she can.

What a stroke of luck. I hope everything is as good as it looks.

I was wondering if the front bumper shocks are the same for both the early and late model 280Z.

Did they bolt the late bumper to her early bumper shocks or did they remove her early style and install the late style shock with the bumper?

Yes get any hard to find interior parts and switches as spares.

• Like 1

Interested to know whether that is an early 76 or late (post august 76). I might snag a few early parts from it too if the model variant is correct.

51 minutes ago, wheee! said:

Interested to know whether that is an early 76 or late (post august 76). I might snag a few early parts from it too if the model variant is correct.

Good question. @Redwing Jai, it would help if we had the vin # or build date from RedBird.

24 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

Good question. @Redwing Jai, it would help if we had the vin # or build date from RedBird.

Hi guys

Are you questioning the build date on RedBird or the parts car?  

Jai

Big announcement...

RedBird is going to the body shop on Monday, 10/9!

Bumper to arrive there on Tuesday.  Greg and I going to pick up fender, bezel, and everything attached to them tomorrow and will drop off at the body shop then too.  

Guys, anyone who has had a similar accident...  PLEASE let me know what else to look for needing repairs/replaced.  I would hope the body shop would be very careful to search out and fix everything.  BUT, I'm  feeling I need to be very aware that they get all taken care.  You know, our cars are so different than any other on the road, it seems to me it might be easy for them to miss something.  So feeling I need to be ever vigilante that they do see/fix everything.  So if you have any ideas, please voice them.   Thanks lots!

Jai

31 minutes ago, wheee! said:

We need to know both for certain parts compatibility....

Mark, The owner (Dean) of the 76 's phone # is 770 403 3887. I doubt the parts that Jai needs are build date critical.

Just now, wheee! said:

Thanks Mark.
Maybe Greg can get the production date off the donor for me...@Gwri8

Wheee, RedBird's stats are  listed with the photo on posts from me.  Vin...277,450, production date 10/75.

Jai

Ooooo! Nice! SASSZ was born 09/75!

RedBirds big sister...

Just now, wheee! said:

Ooooo! Nice! SASSZ was born 09/75!

RedBirds big sister...

How neat that is!  What is her Vin #?  It will be interesting to see how many were produced in that month between them.

I looked at the Vin # on the donor car, but it was obscured somehow.  Could not see it.

Jai

18 hours ago, Lumens said:

I was wondering if the front bumper shocks are the same for both the early and late model 280Z.

Did they bolt the late bumper to her early bumper shocks or did they remove her early style and install the late style shock with the bumper?

Anyone have an answer about the bumper shocks?

Thanks, 

Jai

I'll check the donor car date tomorrow for you Mark.  When I glanced over it the other day it seemed to be in good shape overall.  I got the impression the seller is not a restorer, more of a scavenger who would rather part out for more money than to sell a whole car.  This is not his first Z by any stretch.  He's easy to deal with though.  Did you ever solve your fuel tank?

Yes! Thank you. The fuel tank came from a guy in Ontario! Saved me a bundle on shipping.

10 hours ago, Redwing said:

Anyone have an answer about the bumper shocks?

Thanks, 

Jai

To be safe remove the bumper with the shocks attached if you can. No one will buy them separate anyway and will just go to

the scrap yard with the rest of the car when he is finished with it.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Need to know answer for this asap.  Will be going in a while to pick up parts from donor car.

In a 1976 280 Z, are the cylinders for the 2 doors and the deck lock interchangeable?  RedBird's right door lock will not open with any key.   The donor car has a deck lock with a single key, not opening either doors on that car.  I was thinking if I could move RedBird's deck lock into the passenger door I would have both doors opening on the same key.  Then put the donor car deck lock in RedBird's deck, with its own key.  That, if it would work, would be an improvement.

Thanks...