IGNORED

transmission gear grooves

Dave WM

maybe not the right terminology, but has anyone else noted a groove that looks very deliberate on the 1st and 3rd gears? I suppose it could be damage but it sure looks perfectly machined in. Its very shallow, and thin, I will get some pictures later. I have searched google images and sometimes I think I see it on other transmissions.

its from a CR 280zx 5 speed.

I am hoping to start pulling the gears off soon to replace the bearings, in a hope that is the reason I was getting the gravely sound when I did the swap. I have the housings off, and can hear some noise at least from the front input shaft ball bearing (after cleaning it with some solvent to get the oil out). I don't know how much is too much noise.

Not the greatest picture, and i can't remember which gear is which but do they look like these?  One of them is 5th.  Can't hurt, wherever they came from.

Did you check the adapter plate bearings?  Those are the ones that seem to get destroyed most often.

@Dave WM

gear grooves.PNG

Edited by Zed Head

For kicks have you priced bringing it to shop at this point? Maybe a shop would do it cheaper at this point. 

Also bringing it by a shop you could get a 2nd opinion on bearings and over all condition. Though of course they may go oh yeah it's bad to get your business.  Cost nothing but a little time to ask them. Heck stop by two or 3.  

Edited by JSM

I thought about it, will think on it some more. Main thing is I have no idea about the techs, and if they know how to work on old transmissions. The way I see it I am a caring amateur, vs a professional, not sure which would be better. I also struggle with the desire to get it right, and the desire to learn new stuff. its tough to decide what is right. Main thing is they would have the right tools, that may be the deciding factor. Might drive by that place we talked about out your way.