IGNORED

3rd Brake Light?

ramsesosirus

Been doing a lot of work/research lately (as you can tell by my numerous posts).  

I am still on the fence about converting all or almost all bulbs to LED.  I still might do this, but I'd also like to add a 3rd brake light.

A search shows a few have done this (not on this site) with good results.

Since I have a rear louver, which I can't/won't remove since it's drilled in the hatch, I don't think mounting it inside would make it very visible.

I'm thinking of picking up a third high mount brake strip from a 99 Tahoe (which is my DD) and mounting it with emblem adhesive either on or over my louver.

I would like to increase my braking visibility to those behind me.  

The Tahoe strip is LED.  Can I just splice or "tuck" the wire into the brake connector?  

Here's a link to someone who used this exact light (99 Tahoe).  I'm thinking of putting it where he did, or on the top slat of the louver.  (IF I put it where he did, I wouldn't be able to open the louver).  I also have some chipped paint at that spot, so I'm not worried about messing up the paint.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/118214-3rd-brake-light-option/

I know you can get these at the U-Pull-It yard all day.  Lots of Tahoes.  I went there last week for a rim/tire for mine.  Probably around $10 or so.  New ones are about $40.  I like that they have a housing, not just a strip.  I could even just pull the one off of my Tahoe if needed haha!

tahoe 3rd brake.jpgtahoe 3rd b 2w.jpgtahoe 3rd 3.jpg

Any opinions or experience with this?  Since I already have a louver, I don't think it would be too visible to be ugly.  If I had no louver, like in the pics below, I think I'd mount it inside the hatch.  

Thanks!

I added a third brake light to mine with a $10 Ebay light and wired to to my existing brake lights.  Mine is kind of short but it is pretty bright. You could probably find one longer if you wanted.  3M adhesive tape  mounted it to the inside glass and has held up well over the summer.  It's very visible through the louvers to normal kinds of vehicles and SUV's behind me when on the road,  but probably not to any high lift trucks, say, at a stop light.  This is the only pic I have at the moment.

Third brake light.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, that's great @gwri8.  The more I thought about it, the more I'd like to either put it inside the glass or underneath the top louver slat as to not distract from the body shape.  Yeah, not much we can do about lifted or semis etc... 

Did you splice it into the existing wires with butt connectors?

Great to know it is visible through the louvers, I think I might start working on a solution.  

And nice color on that Z, they look great in dark green IMO.

Edited by ramsesosirus

No butt connector. I used a quick splice connector to the hot (green/white? if I remember correctly. You should probably check to make sure) on the rear brake light and grounded to the body.  similar to these connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/CJESLNA-Splice-Electrical-Connector-Assortment/dp/B00A7YO5AK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505420033&sr=8-1&keywords=wire+splicers

Putting it outside on the louvers would make you drill a hole near the glass for the wiring.  I don't know about your louvers, but mine bounce a little bit, so consider that also.

4 hours ago, gwri8 said:

No butt connector. I used a quick splice connector to the hot (green/white? if I remember correctly. You should probably check to make sure) on the rear brake light and grounded to the body.  similar to these connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/CJESLNA-Splice-Electrical-Connector-Assortment/dp/B00A7YO5AK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505420033&sr=8-1&keywords=wire+splicers

Putting it outside on the louvers would make you drill a hole near the glass for the wiring.  I don't know about your louvers, but mine bounce a little bit, so consider that also.

Good point, thanks for the tips.  I think those connectors are also called "T taps", I've never heard of either until now.  Awesome.  

I found the exact one you have on ebay, and maybe a  longer one.  Do the mouting tabs on the ends (that have the stick on tape) swivel/move, as to change the orientation of the light based on how you mount it?  Looks like you could loosen the screws and rotate...?? 

Mounted outside like the pics I posted, the wire could just go through the seam.  But wont' look as stock.  But it might be more visible to high trucks etc... 

I also found that Zs-ondabrain here made one awhile back that looks really good, maybe better than an LED strip.  A little more than I can spend now (but still not a bad price, maybe I can use a cheap one until I can get his)  @Zs-ondabrain are you still making/selling those 3rd brake light assemblies?  They match the stock tails nicely!

After looking at the car, the only option that will work is what you suggested, I found one like yours but a little longer (11").

I think this will be a great upgrade.  I'm also going to do the plate lights in LED to start.  

Edited by ramsesosirus