IGNORED

L series engine oil dipsticks

Randalla

Some time ago I'd collected 8-10 dipsticks from various S30 and S31 engines. At the time I noticed there were three different lengths, measured from the bottom of the rubber stopper to the tip of the dipstick. I have two dipsticks currently that differ in length by 3/8". Does anybody know which sticks are for which block? Theoretically, the amount of oil in an engine could be off by 3/8," potentially translating to being  1/2 to a full quart different. I'm currently running the short dipstick from my L-24 engine in an L-28 F54 block from a 280ZX. It's obviously easy to swap one out for the other but I don't know for sure which is correct for the engine in my car. I'm wondering if the oil pans were shallower or deeper for the different L series 6 cylinder motors and that was the reason for the change in length. Anyone have the answer to this trivia question???   

Measure form the bottom of the stopper to the " Full " line mark. That is the only measurement you have to be concerned about.. Dipsticks should also have the last 5 digits of the Part number  stamped on it.  I believe you will find that measurement is all the same.

The Nissan Parts catalogs list all 240Z to 280Z blocks as having the same dipstick. 11140-E3002. . I ordered a new dipstick for my  1976  280z Z motor. It was superseded to a newer number with a nice Plastic insulated handle.  I'll look at the stamping numbers tomorrow. 

Checked this morning to see what part numbers I had on mine and if there was a difference in measurement between the bottom of the stopper and the full line. The dipstick from my L-24 has the same part number you referenced, E3002. The other one I have has the suffix P6500. The difference in measurement from bottom of stopper to full line is 7- 3/16" for E3002 and  6-7/8" for P6500 (5/16"). Memory is a little fuzzy but I seem to recall having other dipsticks with an even different number, E3001 as I recall, but maybe E3000. Would be interested to know if any of you have a part number on your dipstick corresponding to either of those numbers. Chickenman,  thank you for your response. 

Good topic.  I didn't even know!  Could we compile a list based on the engine?  I have a 79 engine in my 76 (with stock 76 intake).  

When does it change?  based on year?

My stock engine ran out of oil (my fault) due to a rear main seal leak.  I was good about keeping it full, but a few hours of hard driving blew it.  So I know that even though the Z blocks are tough, they can fail.  Something (rod?) blew a hole in my block due to lack of oil.  I have a pic somewhere.

How about a difference in the receiver tube length that is mounted in the block? Might this account for the apparent different dip stick lengths?

i can hardly wait to get home and peruse my dip stick collection. Why I have a dipstick collection is another question with no answer. ..

Edited by zKars
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, zKars said:

How about a difference in the receiver tube length that is mounted in the block? Might this account for the apparent different dip stick lengths?

i can hardly wait to get home and peruse my dip stick collection. Why I have a dipstick collection is another question with no answer. ..

That made me laugh out loud, thanks!  Bwahahaha!  Perhaps we could utilize them for other purposes?  Like spreading butter on pancakes.  Or checking the temperature of steak on the grill (hmm... looks like it needs about half a quart of 325 degrees)  Or perhaps a weapon of some sort?  Dude was tailgating me, so I launched an oil dipstick at them.  They'll never forget to check their oil again... since it's embedded in their skull".  

I know this is a bit of an inane subject but inquiring minds want to know. Good thought about checking the length of the receiver tube. With all the variations I can imagine there are definitely cars running around with too much or too little oil with owners not even aware of it.

• Like 1

Now someone will have to determine the correct oil level in the pan.

Then I.guarantee Blue will put a carb float bowl sight glass in the side of his oil pan to make sure his oil is full. 

Edited by zKars