IGNORED

Oil leak

Dave WM

my persistent oil leak. back of pan, around bottom of bell housing

I replaced the rear main as part of the clutch/trans work, I hope its ok. Seems like the oil leak is exactly the same as before.

I have on order a MSA comp pan gasket, even though I don't know why that would be needed. My pan was fine, I was careful about using the felpro, used some gasket adhesive (not sealant all over, just the kind used to glue to pan) and was careful not to over tighten.

So when the new gasket comes in I will take a close look at the side seals. I have read that they can be replaced sometimes with the bearing cap in place. I guess its a case by case basis depending on how stuck in they are.

I assume the rubber gasket would use no sealant of any kind?

when I get around to trying the 5 speed again (still on the fence about trying to rebuild myself of send out to Midwest transmission, btw anybody use them?) I will pull the clutch and flywheel off and take another look. That is if it still leaks after the side seal and new pan gasket.

I just replaced my rear main seal for the 4th, count 'em 4th time due to moronitudeness on my part. Last time seems to have worked as I have taken several spirited drives and NO LEAKS! I used a 3" pvc cap as a seal setter and it worked perfectly...Home Depot $1.97. I also made sure to have the seal flush with the block, but not indented. That was one of my mistakes. The other being I could not get it in straight. The pvc cap solved that problem. Hope yours is OK.

Cheers, Mike

I tried a round glass jar that fit the seal, but my moronitudeness was I still managed to drive it cocked, with one side in too far, no getting it out from there. The next time I just used a 1X2 scrap and CAREFULLY tapped all around slowing working up to flush with the block. I am getting REAL good at removing seals.

Yeah, me too. After the fourth time it took my friend with the lift about 6 hours total to R&R the tranny, replace the seal and put everything back. You used a GLASS jar??? Holy crap!  I would have broken that right away. Here's to no more rear main seal leaks.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1

it was a stout glass jar :)

seriously I just used it and a rubber mallet. I know what you mean about getting fast at it, 1s time took me all of 3 days, 2nd time I got the process done in about 7 hrs, that was just to pull swap the trans, but the clutch and main would not have added a lot. Having a lift would be great, it takes me at least 30 min just to get all the jack stands in place. For me the key was getting a nice transmission jack and using cut off bolts as alignment pins to get the bell housing on straight.

Next time I am going to try separating the exhaust at the back of the cat converter, I noticed an exhaust leak from the bottom of the muffler so it will have to be done anyway. taking it down it one piece is hard by myself.