IGNORED

Me & My Z - 45th Anniversary

Goose52

Also from that 40th Anniversary thread, board member "psdenno" posted this comment:  "... it might be interesting if we all shared our memories when we hit a milestone date - things like what other cars we considered before buying the Z, what we traded in for the Z, what was the dealership like, waiting list, what we've done to our Zs over the decades, and Z adventures."  In response to that, I posted these memories:

Other cars considered? A crazy list which I still remember. I had re-enlisted in the Marines and was sitting on $8000 after taxes - a tidy sum in 1972...and of course I was prepared to blow it all - who needs to invest for the future when you're that young! So, my list was: Jaguar XKE V-12, Lotus Elan+2, Corvette LT-1, Porsche 911, and Pantera. A wildcard was a used Ferrari (they used to depreciate pretty fast back then). Some of those I would have had to finance and didn't want to do that. At the end of the day, I went with the most practical selection - the Z. Of course - all those other cars would be worth MUCH more now - but I probably wouldn't have been able to afford to keep them this long...

Car traded in? A 1969 Datsun 510 wagon (wish I still had that).

Dealership experience? A guy named Ron Marsh was the saleman - a nice enough guy - but then all he had to do was process the sale. NO negotiation on price - full sticker plus the options they loaded the car with: AC, mag wheels, undercoating, front bumper guard.

Waiting list? By September '72, at least in Southern California, they were JUST about caught up. There was only a single car at the dealer in the showroom (an Ontario Motor Speedway pace car replica as I recall). So, I had to wait for the next shipment to the dealer. Four cars came in - they called the next 4 people on the list and I was #4 so I only waited a few weeks. A coincidence that when I got the call to come to the dealer, it was my birthday - Happy Birthday to me! The only choice the 4 people on the list got was color. 1st on the list got first pick, then down from there. By the time it got to me the only color left was silver...and that was fine with me.

Z-mods over the years? In my original bio above.

Z adventures? Gosh - that would be a whole 'nother thread. Some random thoughts: Driving the car a hundred miles a day a number of times when I first got it - just couldn't stop - and gas was 35cents/gal back then. Driving the car to the east coast and back to SoCal in '74 and '75. Getting TWO speeding tickets on the same day - trying to win the Yuma to El Toro Grand Prix. When the V-8 was in - blowing off the outside rear view mirror while doing about 145 way out in the middle of nowhere in northern Nevada. The pits that are in my windshield happened on that trip as well. Same trip - being in a windstorm and opening the door of the car - it gets yanked out of my hand and the door got sprung - have a problem with the drivers door to this day. Also with the V-8 - getting caught by CHP while top ended (145) - but he only wrote me for simple speeding at 99mph - he gave me the "military discount." Every important person in my adult life has ridden in the Z. Coming in hot on a left turn, a little moisture on the road I wasn't counting on, went to 10.5 tenths, started to spin, and hit a sharp curb - toasted the rear suspension and cracked the right rear mag. Enjoying lots of country drives. Transportation car - back and forth to the range or to the lakes. The "sleeper" aspect of the V-8 - blew off lots of expensive cars. The quickness of the car with the 4.44 gears - drove a 289 Mustang nuts for a few lights in a row - just from the light up to the 45 speed limit. Driving southbound on 395 from Reno back to LA at night - mostly all two-lane back then - on the first day of a 3-day weekend - every car in LA was headed northbound - blinding lights for hundreds of miles - most miserable drive ever. And on, and on, and on - 45 years is a long time.

Before I forget - the greatest Z adventure was when the Z saved my life. Probably in the mid- to late-90s, I was heading into an intersection - I had the green light, it was a 55mph zone and I was right-on 55. Just as I'm getting close to the intersection, a car headed towards me made a left turn RIGHT in front of me. Somehow, the Z moved sideways to the left, then sideways back to the right. I cleared the other car by what seemed like inches...maybe not, but it was REAL close. I pulled over to the side of the road, stopped, and my hands were shaking on the wheel. A guy pulled up behind me and said "whoa - you alright - I've never seen a car turn like that" (or something like that). I said I was ok. Got calmed down a bit, started the Z back up and drove off. I don't think I would have made it in a stock Z - I think the suspension and hi-po tires saved me big time. Had I been in another car...I don't think I'd be typing this now...

Edited by Goose52
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations Goose on 45 years of ownership!  Thank you for posting all of this up and sharing your experiences with us.  I have loved reading this and I have learned something too.  The '72 240z I just purchased has an Interpart 3x carb intake manifold on it and have been trying to find some info about it.  Interesting to see that BRE sold Interpart stuff and I had no idea they offered so much more back in the day.  Keep the good times rolling with your Z! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hardway said:

Congratulations Goose on 45 years of ownership!  Thank you for posting all of this up and sharing your experiences with us.  I have loved reading this and I have learned something too.  The '72 240z I just purchased has an Interpart 3x carb intake manifold on it and have been trying to find some info about it.  Interesting to see that BRE sold Interpart stuff and I had no idea they offered so much more back in the day.  Keep the good times rolling with your Z! 

It was the other way around. Interpart was originally a marketing arm of BRE to sell BRE-developed products. Interpart later expanded to sell products for other makes of cars but the focus was always on Datsun vehicles.  When I drove up to El Segundo to get parts, Interpart was just another door in the same industrial building that housed BRE.

Regarding your manifold - here's the catalog page from the August 1972 Interpart catalog for the triple Mikuni set for the 240Z:

Triple Carb.JPG

• Like 1

Really enjoyed your story about owning your 240z. Thanks for sharing. Your story caused me to think about some things. My dad bought his 72 240z in 73, slightly used, and paid as much as a new one. He put 190,000 miles on that car driving all over the southeast for his job. I drove a 280z during high school in the early 80s and put probably 30,000 miles on that car. My point is that reading your story and thinking about my dad's ownership makes me want to drive a 240z every day. Most of us, yes there are some exceptions, will never know what it is like to put that many miles on one of these cars and really experience all there is to know about the car. I find myself paranoid about letting it get wet. My dad drove his in the rain all the time. Funny....

Anyway, enjoyed the story. Take care.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your story. I am new to this forum and enjoying all the info. You and I are about the same age, 63 and I am on my third Z. A 1977 and 79 when I was much younger and a little more crazy. Now with my second 77 that I have owned since 2000. Having a lot of fun once again restoring it. Thanks again for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 1

Goose52, After reading this I realized my 40th year of ownership of my 72 was last year. Purchased 6/17/76. That 40 years went way too fast. 

Enormous list of changes over the years but have kept the body stock except for front and rear spoiler. Only one repaint over 20 years ago.

I even have the very same front spoiler as yours. It has never once left me stranded. Sold my Triumph TR6 at the time so I could purchase the Z. 

• Like 1

For all of us that have owned our Z's for MANY years - remember that the "story" is that we bought our cars when we were 12 years old, using money we earned on our (very long) paper routes. Dang, we couldn't even legally drive them until we got our license...

(you don't want people to think we're REALLY old...;) )

• Like 1

Great life experiences that incorporate your Z in so many ways. Wonderful read. I always regretted selling my 77 after 4 years of wonderful ownership and 30,000 miles of experiences that drove me to want another Z in recurrent dreams for many years until I found my '78 a few years ago. Thanks for sharing and allowing me to imagine all that I missed. Keep racking up stories for the 50th anniversary! Take care Goose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 1

Great story Goose. I only hope to share my story like that someday. Stories like this truly inspire me to keep forging ahead. Currently under going corrosion treatment and replacement 

IMG_20140115_160026_336.jpg

Edited by esmit208
Addition
  • Like 1

• Mike featured this topic