IGNORED

Pacesetter header doesn't fit?

hansonsaid

1978 280z n47 head&block automatic trans

i'm test fitting a pacesetter header to replace my cracked stock manifold, and I'm running into a major fitment issue.  The tail end of the collector pipe is several inches closer to the centerline of the car than it should be.  The bend in the tube looks to have been designed to literally avoid the stock transmission mounted exhaust hanger!  

this photo shows a look back from under the oilpan,  there is currently to gasket between the head and flange but that doesn't seem to be capable of affecting the fit this adversely.

I can fix this via welding a straight tube in place of the bends, but I'd prefer not chop this up if I don't have to. header was sold as compatible with an auto trans, and I bought it as a temporary fix to the stock exhaust leak so I can enjoy the nice weather until a manual swap with higher quality exhaust pieces happens in February or so.  I'd like to be able to resell it when that time comes.

what am I missing?  bad installer(me)?  deceptive seller?  

IMG_7667.JPG

pacesetter's own description lists this as fitting 77-83 year models.  the "design notes" say it is made to match up with stock exhaust AND some fabrication is required.  i expected the fab was to merely weld on the proper flange at the end of the collector.

knowing they're selling the same part number for both z's and zx's, can anyone confirm the 280zx exhaust is routed differently than the '78 280z?  i've never had the opportunity to be underneath a zx...

http://pacesetterexhaust.com/77-83-280z-zx-headers.aspx

through some image searching, it would appear the 280zx routes the exhaust almost directly under the driveshaft.  this routing would match up beautifully with the collector pictured in my first post, so it looks like i'll be in for some deeper fabrication than i bargained for. 

Indeed, I have an n47 head(round port w/steel liners).  The flange at the head fits fine, everything clears the block and transmission as it makes its way back to the exhaust, that jog to the center at the end of the collector is really the only issue.  Though Pacesetter lists this as a part that fits 77-83, it's clear now that the collector portion is specific to 79-83.  A great solution would be buying a 77-78 collector, but I don't want to keep sinking money into a temporary part.  This was $220 shipped, another $100 would have bought the ceramic coated, emissions port-free, 77-78 specific MSA header.

Luckily I have the tools needed to resolve this, my main initial hesitation was wanting to maintain this header's usability on vehicles other than my own in the future.  Now that I'm certain I'm modding it to fit 77-78 specs, that hesitation is gone.  

Edited by hansonsaid