IGNORED

Carb Repair Kit

280zx-turbo

Hello All

I'm new to this forum but not to Z-Cars. I first drove a 240Z in 1979 and in the years between there were 280ZX, 280ZX-TT, 300ZX and again a 240Z.

My green 1972 240Z, was probably produced in September/1971 (VIN 048531) 

I would like to refresh the carbs and look for a repair Kit. Seems not so easy.

I assume I do have the HITACHI Carbs (Round Top / 3 screws) 

Where can I buy such a repair Kit?

Thanks from Switzerland - Daniel

Thanks EutDat

This Kit I have bought some times ago, but my technician says that there are two parts not included in this kit which he wants to change:

-Needle, Nr. 9 on the HITACHI Sheet (attached)

-Nozzle, Nr. 13 on the HITACHI Sheet (attached)

Are they not part of any Kit and must be ordered separately?

Where can I buy these two parts?

Even though Im in Switzerland I think the USA are best place to find parts for Z-Cars.

Thanks - Daniel

HITACHI Carburetor HJG46W.PDF

Before your mechanic starts changing nozzles and needles, I highly recommend you run the factory nozzles and needles first. They are great for street driving and it's likely you'll have less tuning and mixture problems. After it's running well you can always try different combinations. Nozzles and needles are an easy swap.

The only reason to replace needles or nozzles is if wear is an issue. Metering needles with a shiny spot from wearing on the nozzle and a concurrent orifice worn egg shape in the nozzle would be a change out reason. As long as the needle is straight and un-worn and the hole in the nozzle is round and .100" there isn't much to be gained.

• Like 1

Hi Bruce

It seems that this is the issue. The rear carb is "hanging" somehow and that is why my mechanic said I should buy needles and nozzles for both carbs.

As you are from ztherapy, could you be so kind and send me the direct link on your site where I can place the order?

Thanks - Daniel ( and thanks to all others who responded !)

My nozzles were sticking and not allowing them to drop on a 240 I bought that had been sitting.  The gas had turned to varnish like and coated the the nozzle stem.  The hoses had gotten stiff to.  Cleaned the nozzles and replaced the hoses, good as new again.

here's his site, http://www.ztherapy.com/.  Click on "master price list".

Edited by siteunseen