IGNORED

accident

zhead240

was rear ended last month. after fighting with insurance company finally got settlement. 2009 Honda written off. I can move up 6 years to another Honda but it's a salvage. this is all they do is go to auctions and fix them up. the ownership has rebuilt on it but same designation as salvage to me. damage was front end, basicly front clip, one fender, hood, rad and rad support. has lazer spect to within 3 mills. i'm apprehensive about a rebuilt. would like to get oppinions on weather to buy or stay away. right now i'm on the fence. it's a great lookin car. ( civic ex coupe)

tia

Three of our five vehicles are salvage, but I rebuilt them myself. If you trust them and you feel like they do good work you should be ok. You could always take the car to your mechanic to look it over...

Just remember salvage should be about 80% of blue book...

• Like 1

Whoa, at first I thought it was your Z rear ended!  I just posted a topic about "Tail Gaters" not long ago... A z with 240 bumpers rear ended is in trouble...

Insurance is sucky, you pay and pay and pay and then when it's time for your return, they fight and fight.  I've had a few incidents like this...

Gotta hold your ground and collect evidence/parts/similar vehicles.  

A good tip about salvage vehicles: It might vary by state, but here, if a car is over 10 (or 15?) years old, the salvage title just goes away, you don't have to get it on the title.  "It's too old" they told me.  So I took the "totaled" value, minus my deductible, fixed what I could myself, and drove on for a year or two.

Hope you're alright, sometimes the soft tissue injuries (neck, back) don't show up until later.  I could barely move my neck or hold a backpack a month after a rear end accident here (I was rear ended).

On 9/4/2017 at 8:09 PM, Patcon said:

Three of our five vehicles are salvage, but I rebuilt them myself. If you trust them and you feel like they do good work you should be ok. You could always take the car to your mechanic to look it over...

Just remember salvage should be about 80% of blue book...

Good point.  In my experience, he's right.  Salvage doesn't necessarily mean the car is "gone", but that the cost of repairing the car is greater than it's value (or 80%).  So if you "total" any older car, it's gonna be "salvage".  A rear end will usually damage the bumper, bumper cover, tail lights, trunk, and possibly quarter panels and frame.  So it doesn't take much in repair costs, really, to "salvage" a vehicle. 

got a new used Honda civic coupe Thursday. it's a 2011 with 74 thousand kilometers. cost out of pocket was $ 1400 and he thru in a set of snows and rims ( three seasons on them) and a full tank of gas. basicly same car but without the leather seats. I think I got a good deal, move up 2 years and gain 80 thousand kilometers 

ps got $ 8150 from the insurance company

3 minutes ago, zhead240 said:

got a new used Honda civic coupe Thursday. it's a 2011 with 74 thousand kilometers. cost out of pocket was $ 1400 and he thru in a set of snows and rims ( three seasons on them) and a full tank of gas. basicly same car but without the leather seats. I think I got a good deal, move up 2 years and gain 80 thousand kilometers 

ps got $ 8150 from the insurance company

That's a pretty good turnaround for you paid for the new car.  Hondas and Toyotas are notorious for lasting a long time.  I had 3 90's Camrys for this reason.  One of them made it to 374,000 miles (not sure on km conversion). before I just swapped it's good parts to another Camry.  Change oil and don't overheat.  Good rules of thumb.  

Congrats