IGNORED

Tail Gaters...

ramsesosirus

I've driven my stock 76 Z about 20 times since June, and it seems that I not only:

1) have many people stay far back from me

2) have many people tail gating me far too close

Neither happens in my DD Tahoe.  

I have vanity plates "76 Z" mostly because our state plates are usually ugly.  It is not an offensive message or anything.

It really infuriates me, mostly since I know 240z bumpers are not worth anything protection wise.  

And I drive respectfully, not cutting people off or that sort of thing.  

Has anyone else noticed either item above?  Sometimes I want to get out of the car and inform them of exactly the risk they are taking if they hit me.  

I try to mind my own business and stay calm, but clearly people are sometimes following or stopping behind me FAR too close.  

This is why I do not carry a gun, because I can't use it if I don't have it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ramsesosirus said:

This is why I do not carry a gun, because I can't use it if I don't have it.

That's great, I know exactly what you mean.

I have found the tailgaters are almost always male 16-40 yrs and are checking out the car and yes they get way too close for my liking. The ones that hang back don't appreciate the aroma of the raw fuel and burnt oil coming from your tail pipe, catalytic convertors are great things and have really cleaned up the air but if you didn't grow up with the smell of real exhaust it is hard to appreciate it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grannyknot said:

That's great, I know exactly what you mean.

I have found the tailgaters are almost always male 16-40 yrs and are checking out the car and yes they get way too close for my liking. The ones that hang back don't appreciate the aroma of the raw fuel and burnt oil coming from your tail pipe, catalytic convertors are great things and have really cleaned up the air but if you didn't grow up with the smell of real exhaust it is hard to appreciate it.

And even if you did grow up around it it's hard to tolerate the smell any more. The same for cigarette smoke. 

4 hours ago, DatsunZGuy said:

You should drive in LA traffic where tailgating is a birthright :(  

That's for sure!! I think I'm looking in my rear view and 2 side mirrors more than I am looking thru the windshield! 

I do get lots of thumbs though. Not that it makes me feel better. I see why some get too close.

• Like 2

I live in the DC metro area.  The drivers around here tend to be pretty rude.  I'm not sure if they are tail gating me to get a better look or they are just jerks.   Most likely the latter.  My car goes like a scalded get, though, so if I'm lucky enough to find a break in traffic I can drop any tail gater pretty quick.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1