IGNORED

WTB your 240z steering wheel with non-repairable 'wood'

Z dreams

Thanks Siteunseen,  the shift knob measurements would help. I'm building a 73 240 resto-rod. Basically a southwest 73 body, a rust bucket Michigan 72, and a rust bucket 81zx rolled into one. I have restored my stock steering wheel,  but thought if I could get a 240 steering wheel frame. I would try wood working in the round. 

Hello Z dreams,  something like in my car? :beer:  The inner metal of the steering wheel is about 6,35 mm (1/4 inch!) thick.  I took 6 pieces of mahogany on the front with a 1/4 inch groove in it and 6 pieces on the back (massiv). Made them with a hand milling machine. And the fingergroove with a powerfile..  It was about 30 hours of work haha..  This wheel is glued on with 2 comp. glue and between the wood waterproof wood glue..  I think the result for a electronics guy is very good.. I'm using it now for 10 years and i'm realy happy with it!  (With my big hands and no power steering it's fantastic.)  (It has 7 or 8 layers of lacquer ....:Bang2:zx7.jpgfoto's2007 009.jpgfoto's2007 011.jpg

About the gearknob, I've got one made on a wood lathe..  neede also a lot of coats of lacquer..

foto's2007 061.jpg

• Like 1