IGNORED

'71 Z on Hagerty DriveShare site

NVZEE

Described like an Air BnB for car enthusiasts, Hagerty has a new rent-a-ride service that connects vehicle owners and customers called DriveShare. Included in the current lineup is an S30 based in Mountain View, CA -- for $240, natch ?

https://driveshare.com/car/286/

https://petrolicious.com/articles/the-airbnb-of-classic-cars-is-finally-here

13 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I can just see renters flogging the snot out of your car and then be like "Oh well"

$500 deposit wouldn't even touch the wear they could put on a car in a day of clutch dumping and power braking!

What's a new clutch & flywheel replacement job cost on a 2006 Lamborghini?  Think the $1,200 daily rental fee would cover it?  A sports car club I belonged to many years ago used to put on slalom events and one of the regular competitors would always show up with a different rental car each time.

Dennis

• Haha 1

Reminds me of the year (late sixties) that one could rent a Hertz Mustang GT 350. One could also buy a day of track time at Kent Pacific Raceway. One hell of a combination. Some people would rent a GT 350, pull the high performance 289 and replace it with a stock Ford 289. The rental program didn't last very long.

Hertz took a beating on that program, which is why it went away so fast.

17 hours ago, psdenno said:

I just checked one of the Lamborghini forums and the going rate mentioned in 2010 was $4,500.  Might be a bit higher in 2017.

Dennis

I wasn't too far off.

I have looked at older Ferraris and such for fun but the maintenance costs are "outrageous" even if I did it myself the parts are stupid expensive. Like a timing belt job is something like $8,000 on a car you paid $32,00 or less for. Totally crazy! That's is one of the appeals of the classic Z for me. They have always been cheap to own and for the longest cheap to acquire. That is changing but on the upside as the market gets more expensive some of the old parts become viable for reproduction, like Euro taillights, for example