IGNORED

16 Years old, first Datsun/Car

footballnick17

I'll try to be a bit more clear - I think that L28 engine is a pile of junk, that's probably only worth about $50.  You'd be much better off to look around and find a complete used L28 engine.  Or rebuild the L24. 

A bore scope isn't going to show you anything.  That collection of parts needs a lot more than new gaskets.

The question you should ask yourself is do you want to rebuild an engine, or just install an engine that's ready to run.  For $400, in the states anyway, that should buy and engine ready to run.

If the engine needs new rings, or an overbore, and new pistons, you'll end up spending a lot more money and the car will be down for much longer.  You'll have a car that can't be driven and two engines taken apart, and a list of things that you need to buy.

Just for fun, ask that guy why the core plug )many people call them freeze plugs) has been removed, and why he didn't reinstall it.  Ask him if the head has been removed.

The block and head may be perfectly fine.  If you can't find another, the question I would ask, is if he is confident everything is okay ask for a written warranty. 

The core plug looks like it was probably leaking and they threw one of the expanding gasket type HELP plugs in there.  To me $400 isn't that much IF you have some kind of proof.  Way cheaper than a rebuild and these motors are pretty stout.

The other thing you would want to do is remove the valve cover.  See if the cam lobs look clean and not rusted.  DO NOT BUY without doing this, if your even considering.  Also make sure you wiggle each rocker and check that they are in place and the rocker arm guides haven't popped out.

Edited by JSM

If the guy didn't have a direct answer about the core plug I'd walk.  If it popped because the coolant froze there could be a cracked block or head.  Don't assume the best, assume the worst.  Assuming the best is the best way to lose money when you're buying used engine parts.

Edit - everything about this thread says that you're about to give a guy a lot of money for a big problem.  You're exactly the person he's been looking for, a guy who needs and engine and doesn't know anything at all about them.  He'll probably work hard to keep you hooked.  

Edited by Zed Head

2 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

If the guy didn't have a direct answer about the core plug I'd walk.  If it popped because the coolant froze there could be a cracked block or head.  Don't assume the best, assume the worst.  Assuming the best is the best way to lose money when you're buying used engine parts.

That is a very good point.  Especially being so far up north in the cold climate like he is.  In FL, I would just assume it was leaking more than a freeze condition.