IGNORED

240Z Brake Pedal

Old Hat

When I slip my foot off the brake pedal and there is still some play before the pedal reaches its maximum extension there is a metal to metal sound which I believe is due to the rubber padding on the end of the bolt that stops the pedal being worn out. I dont think the brake system is compromised in anyway, but the sound is annoying. I am 87 years young and getting under the dash is a challenge, to say the least, so I was wondering if anyone out there has replaced the bolt in question. From what I could see from my pretzel position there appears to be 3 different bolts in close proximity to one another. Appreciate any guidance that can be offerred re: technique to replace the bolt and of course which is the bolt to be replaced. I have owned my Z for over 40 years and this is only the second time something mechanical had to be replaced. Last time was a water pump over 35 years ago. Best car I ever owned.

I can tell you one thing to watch out for. IF you do decide to mess with that bolt make sure you get the locking nut good and tight. I did not and the bolt slowing back out until it began to limit the return of the brake pedal. Each time I applied the brake the "free play" was reduced just a tiny bit. this went on for weeks, so slowly that I did not notice the reduced free play until one day the brakes essentially lockup on me. That was no fun as trying to get off the road they got smoking hot.

Just saying in case you do get under there and start wrenching on it.

18 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

I can tell you one thing to watch out for. IF you do decide to mess with that bolt make sure you get the locking nut good and tight. I did not and the bolt slowing back out until it began to limit the return of the brake pedal. Each time I applied the brake the "free play" was reduced just a tiny bit. this went on for weeks, so slowly that I did not notice the reduced free play until one day the brakes essentially lockup on me. That was no fun as trying to get off the road they got smoking hot.

Isn't the bolt in question attached to the pedal itself?  You could use a broom stick against the seat back to hold the pedal down to make it easy work on the bolt.  If you have strong fingers you might be able to peel the old rubber off, or cut it off, then press the new rubber on.  No removing the bolt.

You can reach it with your right hand, kneeling next to the car, with the driver's door open.  I just went and checked out my 76, not too difficult.  Finding the rubber bit might be the hardest part.

Thanks Zed Head for your response.  After I posted I made a real effort to get under there and found that the rubber cover is still on the bolt.  I am going to try what you suggest and just remove the rubber.  I suspect what has happened is that over the years the rubber has solidified and is so hard that it has lost all of its cushioning effect.  I was able to buy a new bolt setup from the local Nissan dealer.  As an aside, the parts guy has been with them for over thirty years and when I complimented him for being able to find what I needed he said his mission in life is to keep the old Zs running. In the past he has found parts for me from out of state dealers.  The kind of guy us old Z owners need.  Thanks again.

Here are some photos I hope they help. This on a 72. The nut is 12mm and once loose you should be able to turn the bolt by hand with the petal return spring pressure off.

This bolt operates the brake light switch also.

IMG_5220.JPGIMG_5221.JPGIMG_5226.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile
  • Like 1

That exact sound drove me crazy too, I found a few things contributed to it. A brake pedal that was out of adjustment, new brake pads, adjustment of the master cylinder plunger and the pedal stop bolt, some heavy grease at the pivot points on the pedal to take up some of the slop of wear and some upholstery foam stuffed into the brake and clutch pedal return springs. Those springs kind of echo when the pedals are released quickly.

I had an annoying clicking noise from my clutch pedal and it turned out to be a worn/notched pivot pin.  Now that was difficult to replace. One of the PO's of my car had used pliers to enhance the area around the pin, and it was still difficult.  Best to find a person with small hands if that's the problem.

5 hours ago, Old Hat said:

When I slip my foot off the brake pedal and there is still some play before the pedal reaches its maximum extension there is a metal to metal sound which I believe is due to the rubber padding on the end of the bolt that stops the pedal being worn out. I dont think the brake system is compromised in anyway, but the sound is annoying. I am 87 years young and getting under the dash is a challenge, to say the least, so I was wondering if anyone out there has replaced the bolt in question. From what I could see from my pretzel position there appears to be 3 different bolts in close proximity to one another. Appreciate any guidance that can be offerred re: technique to replace the bolt and of course which is the bolt to be replaced. I have owned my Z for over 40 years and this is only the second time something mechanical had to be replaced. Last time was a water pump over 35 years ago. Best car I ever owned.

What a great attitude for being 87! I'm 47 and dread getting on my back messing with the brakes. I go so far as to remove the seat. Kudos to you!