IGNORED

Replace Series 1 240Z Seats w/Series 2?

w3wilkes

70-74 I think use the same seat brackets. I'm forgetting now maybe 70 is different. I think all the 280z use a different seat rail, but you should be able to unbolt any seat from the rail and use any seat with any rail from 70-78. 

I scored some 77 seats. I'll have to swap the floor rails with the 70 rails. Looks like the 77 rails bolt to the floor a little different. I've got leather seat covers from Interior Innovations and have new foam innards for the seats on the way from MSA. Got a shift and E/brake boot to match the new seat covers too. Except for one crack in the dash the interior is done. Even the clock works!

Edited by w3wilkes

I notice that the MSA foam seat core (item code 40-2691) is identical for Z years 70 to 78. When I check leather seat cover stuff from MSA it says that there are 3 different sets of leather seat covers (code 40-2700 for years 70-73, 40-2701 for years 74-76 and 40-2702 for years 77-78) that are not interchangeable. If you get new foam seat cores that are the same for all years from 70 to 78 what is different in these 3 leather seat cover codes that doesn’t allow them to be the same across the 70 to 78 seat years? It doesn’t make sense that the foam cores under the seat covers is the same, but the leather seat cover over those foam cores is different depending on the year of the car seat. I understand that the series 1 (1970 – early 1971) cars have material strapping vs spring steel for support in the seat bottoms, but that doesn’t seem to make a difference for the 40-2700 seat covers which MSA says runs from 1970 to 1973 Z cars.

Just color me very confused!

Edited by w3wilkes

9 hours ago, w3wilkes said:

I scored some 77 seats. I'll have to swap the floor rails with the 70 rails. Looks like the 77 rails bolt to the floor a little different. I've got leather seat covers from Interior Innovations and have new foam innards for the seats on the way from MSA. Got a shift and E/brake boot to match the new seat covers too. Except for one crack in the dash the interior is done. Even the clock works!

Yes the rails are different, but the hole pattern on all S30 seats I believe are the same.  Just unbolt the seat rails from the 70 seats and install them on the 77 seats.