IGNORED

Different choke cables

I'm restoring (assembling) a 1971 240.  Too many parts from too many cars can cause confusion.

I have one choke cable assembly, and pulled tight,   the cables barely reach the choke levers, in fact full open  choke is not achievable.  I notice in various catalogues that  there is a different part number from 1970/71 vs. 1972.  Is the difference between the two cable lengths?  Or does the difference lie in the mounting position of the lever on the console?  

Thanks

The '72 choke cable is definitely shorter by a few inches.  I managed to get the '72 cable to work in my '70, but the cable was quite bent over where it left the choke linkages on the carbs. In fact it resulted in so much effort to pull the choke lever that I thought I would break the knob. Last year I ended up repairing my original cable by using the original sheath and making a new cable from .055 music wire, .055 stainless wire is also available.  It works great now, here are a couple of links on the subject.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I began this discussion back in August and received several replies.  Somehow many have disappeared, so  pleased don't feel insulted if I fail to acknowledge you.  Your suggestions were greatly appreciated.

In any case, my problem was having choke cables too short to allow full opening of the chokes.  It turned out that I have 1972 or '73 cables, which are too short for my 1971-based car.  Longer sets, new or used, are not readily available.  Someone on the forum (sorry, I can't find the original replies) kindly suggested that I replace the stock cable with "music" wire, .055 diameter.  So I went shopping and learned that music wire is not available at music stores (well is it for a guitar or a violin? they asked), but it is readily found at industrial supply shops (the guy at the front desk did not believe me, but when he asked his boss, he was told to "just look in the catalogue").  Presto, I had a roll of music wire.  It wasn't too hard to bend it to fit the two-line Datsun setup, but the sheathing was still the stock length.  For that I went to a bicycle shop and they kindly gave me a foot of outer bike cable.  I installed all that, going 2 1/2 inches longer on each of the front and rear carbs, but every time I moved the choke lever, the bike sheathing would separate from the stock material - it didn't know how long it was supposed to be.  What to do now?  My own bright idea was to ensure that  the bike and Datsun sheaths were butted up against each other, then slip over a length of electrical heat-shrink.   Put a cigarette lighter to  it, and wonder of wonders, it adhered to both types of sheathing.  So far it works.  Whether it's good for 100,000 miles, I don't know.  But we'll find out.  

Would be interested in hearing how anyone else makes out with this.  

Thanks for everyone's help.

7tooZ

Thanks for your offer.  The two cables are 55 3/4 inches and 62 3/4.  That leaves them about 2 1/2 inches short each.  The ones I need will be at least 58 1/4"  and 65 1/4".  

As mentioned I have concocted something that seems to work (for the moment) using bicycle cable and heat-shrink, but I would much prefer to have the original factory set-up.  If those numbers match what you have, please let me know how much you need for them.  Contact through this forum or albertaracers@yahoo.com

Best regards