IGNORED

Looking for machine shop recommendations - MA/Northeast US

foosman

In the process of getting a 1971 240 back on the road after a 24-year sleep, and I'm looking for shops to do a differential rebuild, tranny rebuild, engine block/head work.  Massachusetts area preferred, but would travel anywhere in the northeast area.  Datsun specialty/experience would be a bonus, of course.

Thanks!

Curious, are they all needing rebuilt because ....  I can see you doing the engine, maybe, but just fluid changes on the tranny and rear end, unless there was crazy mileage. 

Heck I had a Z with 250k that had the original rear end and auto tranny.  Guy said he drove all over the country many, many times. 

The car is only showing 53K miles, assuming there is at least a "1" in front of that.  Bought the car in 1990-ish, so who knows how many miles were put on it during the first 20 years.  Heavy leakage on the diff, mostly around the vent on top.  Tranny's probably ok, don't recall any issues when it got garaged in 1993.  The engine has a known failure, the extent of which is yet to be determined.  I came out of work one day, started it up, there was a loud bang, the oil pressure went to zero, and that's when it got towed to the garage where it sat until 2014.

It's possible that there isn't much that needs to be rebuilt - given that I have all the mechanicals out of the car, and I'm doing a major refresh on everything, it doesn't make sense to not have someone at least go through them and attend to any issues before reinstalling them.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks - I've had Datsun Spirit in the back of my mind if all local options failed, would be great aside from the distance/shipping hassle.  For the differential, I found a local shop that specializes in drive train work looking at it now.  Tranny and engine work are a bit further down the road, time-wise, but if I can't find local options I might check out Datsun Spirit.

Datsun Spirit is one of two shops I would really consider if I was looking for outside help. the other being Rebello. I would lean toward Datsun Spirit mainly because it's East Coast and closer, Eiji is very nice and Guy (Dizeased) speaks very highly of him..