IGNORED

Vinyl Top as an option 240z

JSM

Was going to look at a car tomorrow and the owner says she always recalls a vinyl top on the car.  This was a family members car that passed and purchased new.  Was this a dealer option? I've seen them from time to time, but always figured it was aftermarket. 

Could have been a respray and added then.  Different mirror and missing bumperettes.

IMG_0234.JPG

Edited by JSM

IIRC it's on the Nisan parts microfiche. I'm sure someone on here knows more. I had a parts car years ago with a vinyl top. I kept the vinyl top trim pieces. I think it had the vented hatch. It was silver with a black top.

Chuck

1 hour ago, JSM said:

Thank you!  Does that option add any more value or is it just a preference thing?

It'll be interesting to see in the next few years if it affects the value. It makes the car more rare, but does it make it more desirable? In the Mopar world it seems like half the cars had vinyl tops. Value doesn't change. The only bad part about it was that it caused the roof and windshield frame to rust out.

Chuck

My '73 came with a white vinyl top over brown paint. It was peeling up in several places so I removed it and had the whole car repainted metallic brown. I think it looks a lot better. Getting the glue off was a fun task. I guess you could say I'm not a fan of vinyl tops.

Cheers, mike