IGNORED

Nissan CVT Xtronic Transmission

JSM

So we're looking at new nissans Altima or Maxima cars. We rented a 2017 Altima recently and really liked the car and gas mileage was amazing. Did some checking and it seems almost all of their cars, SUV, etc have this trans now. Checked out car complaints and it is scary to me. Even 2016 models had some issues. The thought of a trans only having 120k and needing a rebuild is nuts to me. Then $5k for a rebuild!  

We keep our cars a long time.  Our last new car was in 06 Toyota van and we are at 145k with zero issues but maintenance.  Heck my 01 Lexus has 205k and still going.  Original trans.

For daily drivers it's hard to beat toyotas in my opinion.  I like to get in and go and not have issues to worry about.

What do you guys think?

My wife drives an 05 Nissan Altima SL 2.5 liter, no problems at just under 200k miles. But thats on the "old" style tranys, not the CVT's. I'm a firm believer in maintenance on any vehicle. I get my wifes trany power flushed every 50k miles and the fluid stays a bright pinkish color like a well maintained trany fluid should look. No issues with mechanical's yet, knock on wood. My neighbor has 2 of the newer body style Nissan Rogue's and they love them. Said it took getting used to not feeling the transmission shift.

As far as a tranny only lasting 120k miles and failing is absurd. Maybe that particular one was a lemon so to speak.