IGNORED

Speedo Gear Body doesn't push in far enough

PKD

I am having problems pushing speedo gear body back into back into the gear housing in the back of the 5 spd tranny. I replaced the cable with a new one because the former owner decided to hook a laptop to an electronic gear body that didn't work the mechanical speedo. The speedometer is the original to the car and requires a cable. The transmission was a swap from a 82 ZX. The former owner did, however furnish me with a correct speedo gear/body that came off this tranny.  I put the two bodies and gears side by side and noticed no difference in the gear body and gear. The slot is on the correct side of the offset. The problem is that the electronic gear body pushes in farther into the hole where the gear drive is then the mechanical body. I did confirm that when the rear wheel rotates, the cable end was rotating properly but the body wasn't as deep as the electronic body. I took the car around the block on a test drive and noticed the speedo bounces a little but is accurate. How do I get that body further into the housing? Is there a trick, more force? I don't want to damage anything as it is a real pain to get correct spares.

15 hours ago, PKD said:

I did confirm that when the rear wheel rotates, the cable end was rotating properly but the body wasn't as deep as the electronic body. I took the car around the block on a test drive and noticed the speedo bounces a little but is accurate. How do I get that body further into the housing? 

The slot in the sleeve that holds the retaining piece determines depth of the gear.  Your problem sounds more like the cable end is not seated properly in to the gear shaft end, in the sleeve.  It's possible to jam the end of the cable on to the slot it's supposed to fit in to but not in to it.  Then the cable rubs on the inside of the sheath, causing bouncing.   I've found that it works best to pull the cable out of the sheath at the transmission and fit it firmly in to the sleeve and shaft slot, then screw the retainer down and let the speedo end seat itself.

If I'm thinking right it has a "top hat" rubber washer and the O-ring on the body. They could be mushed up? There is also a seal that has to be seated with a 10mm socket? inside the housing. I did mine and there's a lot of info on here about this. Using my phone now but I'll try to find the thread I used in the morning when I crack open my laptop. 

5 hours ago, siteunseen said:

If I'm thinking right it has a "top hat" rubber washer and the O-ring on the body. They could be mushed up? There is also a seal that has to be seated with a 10mm socket? inside the housing. I did mine and there's a lot of info on here about this. Using my phone now but I'll try to find the thread I used in the morning when I crack open my laptop. 

There only appears to be one seal on these. I have attached a genre photo of one. I had stuck my finger into the transmission to make sure there was no obstructions. It was clear. The size and height of the old one and the replacement were identical but there is a electronic mod on the end of the one that cannot be removed. Then I used a flashlight to check out the gear inside. It looked clean and burr free. When I inserted the mechanical unit, I rotated the unit 180 degrees after inserting, It got tight then pushed in slightly then stopped. The hold screw was not in a flush position and was not as deep as the electronic unit i took out. I took the mechanical unit out again then reinserted the electronic one which slid right in. Total frustration. Tried again then only went in partially again. I did manage to get the hold screw on but. . . not best position. 

19-teeth-2.jpg

7 hours ago, Zed Head said:

The slot in the sleeve that holds the retaining piece determines depth of the gear.  Your problem sounds more like the cable end is not seated properly in to the gear shaft end, in the sleeve.  It's possible to jam the end of the cable on to the slot it's supposed to fit in to but not in to it.  Then the cable rubs on the inside of the sheath, causing bouncing.   I've found that it works best to pull the cable out of the sheath at the transmission and fit it firmly in to the sleeve and shaft slot, then screw the retainer down and let the speedo end seat itself.

Thanks, I will have to fiddle with this a little more to see if it is making proper connection. I will also have to check for any bindings or kinks on the cable routed through the dash to the tranny. The unit is still to far out of the hole for the retaining screw to properly hold over time.