IGNORED

Exciting news: I just got a 240Z race car!

MichaelsVintage

Hi everyone! My name is Mike Clifford, and my father and I run Michael's Vintage Racing. We work on mostly British cars at our shop, but Z-cars have always caught my attention at the track and I've kept one eye open in case something appeared at the right time.

Luckily, that time has come! biggrin.png

36426413136_d5168a5f54_z.jpg
36426411626_b156346edc_z.jpg
36426409706_797e228eeb_z.jpg
36426408166_4b0d6f3c12_z.jpg
36426407226_65454be0bc_z.jpg

This is all new ground for me, but I've already got a list of things I'm excited to do to the car smile.png

I've been reading up the past few days on Zs to familiarize myself, and I want to absorb as much information as I can ASAP. I've been reading about:
Basic information
Weak spots with race cars
Differences between 240/260/280 cars

If there's anywhere else I should definitely go, I'm looking forward to it!

Edited by MichaelsVintage
  • Like 3

Welcome Mike!  Looks like a pretty solid 280.  Are you going to keep it a race car or make it streetable also?  There are a more than a few racers here on the forum and I'm sure they will chime in pretty soon.

Good Luck!

22 minutes ago, gwri8 said:

Welcome Mike!  Looks like a pretty solid 280.  Are you going to keep it a race car or make it streetable also?  There are a more than a few racers here on the forum and I'm sure they will chime in pretty soon.

Good Luck!

Thanks! The car is actually a 74.5 260, but it has a 240 engine and brakes installed. I figured it'd be simpler to refer to the car the way it'll race, and forgot to make the distinction! :) The car will be strictly a race car. The historic plate is just a fun bonus to come with the car :)

1 hour ago, grannyknot said:

Welcome Mike and Congrats,  it appears to be in great shape and won't need much to get it on the track.

I may have a photo of your car racing at Mosport, can't find it at the moment but I'll keep looking.

Thanks! It does need some help cosmetically, but mechanically it's already usable.

That would be cool if you had any photos of it! I got a couple notebooks and reference books with the car and I can't wait to dig into them :)

2 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Mike, I found the pic but it's not your car don't think, one number shyLOL

DSCN0061.jpg

Haha, what a coincidence! Judging by the class decal, what it lacks in door numbers it's making up for in cc's! :D

In other news, I've got some short videos! icon_biggrin.gif The car sounds mean in person.

https://flic.kr/p/WmVPCv

https://flic.kr/p/WjyXXm

If anyone knows how to embed video from Flickr, I'm a new user and I can't figure it out.

58 minutes ago, gnosez said:

Mike - I've seen you race at several VRG events but now we'll be in the same run group it seems. I would be happy to share what knowledge I have of the early Zs and setting them up to race.

Hi, if that's your car I can assure you I won't trouble you on track! :) In all seriousness, I'd be very appreciative of any information you'd be willing to share. I'm going to be reading through the couple books that came with the car, and I want to learn as much as I can about Zs! Are you heading to NJMP by any chance?

Sorry to say, I'm can't make NJ but with some luck might be at The Glen in October. Did the Schenley Park race for the first time and is was the stupidest fun thing I've done in years.

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward my cell number to you.

On 8/11/2017 at 0:30 AM, gnosez said:

Sorry to say, I'm can't make NJ but with some luck might be at The Glen in October. Did the Schenley Park race for the first time and is was the stupidest fun thing I've done in years.

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward my cell number to you.

Will do, thanks! That's a pretty accurate way of describing Schenley, haha.

On 8/12/2017 at 9:19 AM, gira said:

If you want a set of 14" passport racing wheels, lemme know.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Thanks, I'll let you know!

Edited by MichaelsVintage