IGNORED

Drum Brake Adjuster - '77 280

mentalite

Datsun sure didn't feel the need to go into much detail into these mechanisms, now did they?  I think I may have figured out my problem, but am asking for input from our community experts before I start putting force on things that shouldn't be forced.

I believe my adjuster mechanism is rusted together where it should pivot.  So.  should the adjuster fork pivot on the arm which is attached to the parking cable?  On mine, the end of the fork which contains the adjusting wheel does not move freely on the shaft.  That being the case, the lever arm which spins the adjuster wheel isn't able to return to it's starting position.  Conversely, I can't see that the parking brake will work since the lever won't move with the adjuster fork holding it in place.

Secondly, any helpful tips in freeing these up other than penetrating oil and patience?

IMG_20170809_141444465.jpg    IMG_20170809_141521727.jpg

IMG_20170809_141531769.jpg

Thanks for the helpful input, guys.

Yes, the arm with the gear on it is supposed to pivot freely on the parking brake linkage, and yes, they rust up and stop working.

This pic was taken to highlight the parking brake seals (it wasn't taken with the intention of showing the pivot function), but you can see how the arm with the gear on it is at a weird angle with respect to the rest of the assy:
P1050575.JPG

As to how to get it free? The usual... Oil, patience, persuasion, heat, etc. I don't have any silver bullets.