IGNORED

Ignition switch

Dave WM

I am sure this is not new to the group but since I made a video I figured would post a thread (video attached later).

I have been having start issues since I got the car nearly 2 years ago. I thought I had check the starting circuits (spark and injector during startup) but  since it was intermittent I prob just never caught the issue. I finally broke down and removed the switch for a more comprehensive test of the start circuit. Sure enough I have multiple dead spots on the switch when turned to "start". I did NOT test the new OE switch, prob should have but it was so easy to install I just could not wait. Needless to say it started instantly, no longer do I crank and crank then release and the engine would then start (only after releasing the key). I was losing the ign circuit while in the "start" position.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 1

The intermittent START signal is probably because you have eaten up the internal contacts with the current drawn by the starter solenoid. It'll happen again to your new replacement. You might not be around anymore, but it'll happen. I put a relay between the switch and the starter.

1st test after sitting overnite, started in the start position (did not have to release) and it started super fast, nearly instant, so looking good so far. I have to say I really like the EFI system, on my old 240 and 260 I don't remember it having the kind of instant start and immediate throttle response when cold that the 280z has.

3 hours ago, Dave WM said:

1st test after sitting overnite, started in the start position (did not have to release) and it started super fast, nearly instant, so looking good so far. I have to say I really like the EFI system, on my old 240 and 260 I don't remember it having the kind of instant start and immediate throttle response when cold that the 280z has.

That's why I roll my eyes when I hear someone saying he wants to convert to carburetors because they work better and are more reliable. If I could afford it, I would install FI into my 260Z.

• Like 1